Dumb question from a new guy: Cupholders!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the cupholder inserts in the center console meant to be easily removable? I picked up a new-to-me 2012 LR4 last week. The cupholders are stuck in there pretty good, but I don't know if that's by design, or by the previous owner's sticky coffee beverage spillage keeping it glued down.

The LR4 is awesome, btw.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and while I'm at it, do you guys have hooks in your floorboards in the second row to catch the eyelets in the 2nd row mats? I promise I'll have better contributions once I figure this stuff out!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the cupholder inserts in the center console meant to be easily removable? I picked up a new-to-me 2012 LR4 last week. The cupholders are stuck in there pretty good, but I don't know if that's by design, or by the previous owner's sticky coffee beverage spillage keeping it glued down.

The LR4 is awesome, btw.

They should come out pretty easy. Too many times I put in a bottle of water, with a bellowed bottom, and when I took a drink, the cup holder was stuck to the bottom. Girls love that graceful move btw. You're must be ceased from stickiness of some sort. Wiggle them out.

Glad you love the new ride... it's a great truck! Best in its class.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and while I'm at it, do you guys have hooks in your floorboards in the second row to catch the eyelets in the 2nd row mats? I promise I'll have better contributions once I figure this stuff out!

There are no hooks but when you buy the mat set they include these screw-in knobs that you screw into the carpets (you first poke a hole into the carpet with an ice-pick) and those little knobs hold the mats in place... the top of the knobs have a turn-stop that locks the mat down. Your mats may have been put back there and the knobs never installed. If you don't have them you might be able to get them from LR parts.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I dump some hot water down there, it might melt the sugar . . . are there any holes the water might drain through? If so, I'll come up with a new plan.

Thanks for your help, Count. The blue beast is going back to the dealer in a week or so to address a few other items, so I'll have them hook me up with some knobs.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I dump some hot water down there, it might melt the sugar . . . are there any holes the water might drain through? If so, I'll come up with a new plan.

Thanks for your help, Count. The blue beast is going back to the dealer in a week or so to address a few other items, so I'll have them hook me up with some knobs.

You can pull the whole unit out, it'll feel scary at first, but the entire thing pops right out. Then you can soak it and hopefully the cup holders will come out. Stick each of your hands into each cup holder, flex or make a half fist until hands are snug, then pull upwards, pressure on the forward side. May need to jiggle a little. It should then pop right up on that forward side, then gently pull up the rear side.

Yeah, I'm sure the dealer can get you hooked up. The Baltic Blue on the LR4 is very nice.

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to pull mine out yesterday to clean them and the whole unit came out. Underneath there is a water catch tray, but I would be hesitant to pouring water down it.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get the front of the unit to unlatch and rise up, but the back side (cubby side) doesn't want to release. Any tips or tricks there?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get the front of the unit to unlatch and rise up, but the back side (cubby side) doesn't want to release. Any tips or tricks there?

Pop it back in and try it from the cubby side first... it'll come out eventually.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two retention clips on the cubby side. Grab a flat screwdriver or panel tool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72