EAS Woes....solved?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I want to share my EAS saga with you to see if anyone has observed anything like this before and/or can make a theory as to what has happened.

Two years ago I replaced the air strut in the front passenger corner. It also appeared that the sensor was out-of-calibration. Replaced that and the wiring harness on the other side. Land Rover could not calibrate it with IDS. With help from the GAP Team, I calibrated it at my house. It was way out of range and the folks at GAP thought that the bracket may be bent. I wasn’t sure, but it was calibrated and happy so away I went.

Fast forward to last month. Two years and probably about 12,000 miles later. My EAS compressor had shown signs of wearing out, but it was alive and kicking. One day before a big (overlanding trip) I had that same corner sensor go out-of-cal and I got a cross-articulation fault, after the LR3 thought it was in Extended Mode and could never figure out where to be; compressor kept operating but the vehicle never stabilized. I changed the sensor and went on the trip. Was fine for a while. On the way back I got a different fault that seemed to point at the compressor, I believe it said Also stated that the gallery pressure was rising too slowly (or something like that). I decided to change out the compressor. On my way to the shop (or maybe the day before) I got the same message about the sensor. The guys at the dealer shop changed the compressor and after two tries the sensor took a calibration. Good to go….until last Monday. I got the same thing. Cross-articulation fault, if I recall correctly this time it was on the driver’s side, front. The dealer shop this time found that the bracket in the passenger side front wheel well was slightly bent (just like the GAP folks said!) and they replaced both sensors. The vehicle took a calibration on the first try (this time) and seems okay.

So…what the heck? I have my theories but want to hear yours.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, cross-articulation faults have been caused by two sensors being vastly different from one another (in other words... sensor height rods being different lengths or like you said, something being bent). I personally got the same error message when I tried to install different length height sensor rods.

The car would take a calibration just fine (so all four corners were at the same height from the ground), but would throw the cross-articulation fault at completely random times. EAS icon would turn red and car would drop to bump stops. Easily cleared by IID tool and I was on my way, but it kept happening every so often. When I finally adjusted all my sensor height rods to the same length and calibrated, I haven't had the fault since.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a side note, I was doing this because I have adjustable rods and was trying to "equalize" the calibration values on each corner. My hope was that if I equalized them near that "150" value, then I would have the most amount of lift possible at the trailhead with the IID tool. Needless to say, it didn't work, so I just adjusted the rear height rods to the same and the front rods to the same and even though the calibration numbers are way different, the car is much happier.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, my understanding is that the values of the sensors are supposed to be different and that's what the calibration is for. You're calibrating the sensors so that the actual height is set correctly. It's like taring a scale before you step on it. Anyway....that's a separate topic.

Everything I've researched says the same thing. A sub-optimal calibration that I was running (likely due to a bent sensor bracket) caused this. My question is on the timing. The EAS held this calibration for years....unless my bracket got bent recently without my knowing, I don't know how or why it threw out the calibration that fateful day a few weeks ago. That's really the million dollar question.

I guess I forgot to mention that the vehicle had been on a lift that day....I got my rear diff oil changed. That still shouldn't have any impact, though.

Trynian

Reaction score
I was having cross articulation errors about 9 months ago. After replacing all the sensors one by one with my spares I was still getting them.

Put the old ones back on and re-flashed the EAS computer software and have not seen it since.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy...how long ago was that? (that all the old ones were put on)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM