Effect of cold on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time we leave our LR3 parked outside in winter (Milwaukee WI) we end up with 2 system faults "special systems not available": 1) for over head Rosen DVD inop and 2) for terrain response system. i understand the DVD not working when cold but terrain response?? gee there is a snow/ice setting and i suspect it might be cold when you have snow and ice, hey?? anyone have similar problems? we just had lr3 up at our cottage for weekend where we have no garage and the terrain response was inop all weekend due to being parked outside in cold.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to be a common problem - I've heard it has something to do with the battery voltage getting too low (a combination of cold weather and sitting over night). I've also heard that they have replaced batteries due to this condition - I've been meaning to tell my dealer about it.

Having said all that - I don't believe it is something you should be concerned about. As long as the faults clear, you should be good.

-Rich

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, you say you couldn't use terrain response the entire weekend. What
about after the truck was given sufficient time to warm up ? The faults still didn't clear ?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have seen these same errors and it is definately a battery voltage issue. We had the battery replaced under warranty and the problems immediately ceased. Recently though they have been coming back so I think the battery is bad again.

I'm thinking of replacing the factory battery with a better model.

It appears that the electronics are very sensitive to startup voltage. One thing you can do is warm the car up a bit to allow the battery to charge then shut it off to reset the electronics and start back up and that will clear your errors.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be more going on that just a dying battery though...once I played my stereo for a few hours at a friends and my battery died. I can't remember but at that point I either jumped it or just let it "rest" for a while and it cranked over. I have to think that either way it would be low on juice, and I saw no faults. The weather was warm, but still, the battery must've been low.

Do people still let the computer do its system check before cranking it? I always let it finish first. That may help too. There is an ancient thread on this board about that topic as well.

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
terrain response inop

what was odd was that it was inop all weekend until parked inside a garage for about an hour....................

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just checking on batteries for lR3 no luck at autozone or sears, please tell me not stealer only again??

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in your situation i recommend a battery tender. you can hookup the leads to come out of the grill or another spot for convenient hookup. if you have power close by then it just takes an extra minute to plug it in. the plus model is cheap, small, waterproof, and should mount nicely in the spare battery box. Good luck.

Battery Tender

If you gonna replace your battery, i would find a way to make a yellow top fit. that will probably outlast your vehicle. deep cycle for more power reserve or a red top for more cranking amps. check out Optima's website for more info.

Last edited:

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would love ayellow top optima but websiste says no batteries for 2005 lr3?? any suggesitons?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to find the group number for LR3 batteries or just go off of dimensions. i will dig around a little and find you the correct number. you can always give optima a call and im sure they will be able to help you. i have used them in all my vehicles and trackcars, you can beat them to death and have yet to fail me.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635