Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this repair was just completed by a local shop.

Purchased the EPB module/cables from Land Rover Paramus (NJ). Online price was $780.
Labor was $950, at Elite Motorsports (Long Island). They do not specialize in Land rover, but are a very capable shop. Prices arent the cheapest, but they do good work. As a repeat customer, they gave me a discount. I recommend them if anyone local needs work done.

Took them about 5-6 hours.

Only hiccup immediately after the repair was my fuel gauge wasn't reading and said 0 miles to empty. weird since i knew it was nearly full. disconnecting the battery fixed it. I assume the shop thought i had no fuel and didn't think it was an actual problem.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since ive bought this car ive had a parking brake errors code. i replaced the parking brake module because of its obvious failure (grinding). after replacement, programming, calibrating....the brakes works perfect. but the code will keep coming back

IPC - Instrument Pack
U0128-00 (2E) - lost communication with parking brake control module

It will come back like clockwork, no matter how many times i clear it.

any suggestions?

only reason id like to fix it is becasue im a little OCD and would prefer to see no codes when i scan, even if they are "ghost" codes.

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since ive bought this car ive had a parking brake errors code. i replaced the parking brake module because of its obvious failure (grinding). after replacement, programming, calibrating....the brakes works perfect. but the code will keep coming back

IPC - Instrument Pack

any suggestions?

only reason id like to fix it is becasue im a little OCD and would prefer to see no codes when i scan, even if they are "ghost" codes.

You will drive yourself nuts. If it works, I suggest trying to forget about until there is an actual issue.

I have been down the same road with a "General Electrical Failure-Remote control - circuit open". Relates to one of the steering wheel mounted control switches. No amount of tinkering has gotten rid of that code.

I fight the urge to pull the wheel and start swapping parts.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe switch itself is bad? Although I think that might have its own code...

IPC - Instrument Pack

any suggestions?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe switch itself is bad? Although I think that might have its own code...

since the brake works flawlessly everytime, id assume the switch cant be bad. but you never know.

as others suggested, im just going to ignore it and know it will always be a code. not worth throwing money, time and parts at a non-problem.

i guess i was just hoping that there was some sort of deep coding i missed after module replacement. doesnt sound liek it. oh well

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be as simple as dirty terminals in the plug for the parking module?

If it works flawlessly and just has an error code then it may be worth a try. How accessible the connection plug is though I’m not sure.

Guy Harding

Reaction score
I too was quoted $2500 by my local RR dealer so I am tempted to ty and fix my parking break issues myself (ambitious), do I have to buy a new unit and cables or can I just put new gears in the box and save myself $1000 ?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Crazy, I was just watching this earlier... If I were to do this, which I actually need to, I would lift the truck on jack stands, remove the spare tire, leave the EPB where it's at, unscrew the PB from each side, take the EPB box out, replace the gears, and reverse everything.

Based on these 2 videos, video 1 left everything in place and video 2 took it out.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy, I was just watching this earlier... If I were to do this, which I actually need to, I would lift the truck on jack stands, remove the spare tire, leave the EPB where it's at, unscrew the PB from each side, take the EPB box out, replace the gears, and reverse everything.

Based on these 2 videos, video 1 left everything in place and video 2 took it out.

easier said than done.
alot of things in the way, clearance is non-existant. teh area to work in is in front of the frame rail, not behind it (where the spare is).

This was actually my plan, i crawled under there, and said nope. paid $900 to a shop for labor and have 0 regrets. the time, hassle, and rusty bolts (soon to break) i would have been battling was well worth the money paid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA