Emission inspections and start/stop battery disabled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

equalizer

Reaction score
MY2016 LR4 is approaching the emission inspection due date and have been running it without the start/stop battery for over a year.
There is a code about Body Control Module related to the auxiliary battery not performing, but I wonder if this is enough to result in a failure of the inspection.
In AZ inspections connect OBD2 so they can pull codes from the car, though I don't know if they care about a subset of the codes (generic ones for all cars) or anything can trip it over.

I tried reattaching the aux battery but given the battery is at 0v the car throws the same code.

Thoughts?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think as long as the CEL isn't on and all the readiness monitors are set, you should pass. I sincerely doubt(but could be wrong) that they actually care about what codes are being tripped. Certain codes trip the CEL, so at least in DC, that's all they care about.

equalizer

Reaction score
Thanks.Ok I will try a first test with the aux battery disconnected.
Trouble is, after I re-disconnected it now I get a CEL!!!
Only code thrown is about the aux battery issues.
Previously I only had the light for the Start/Stop function not available - the code was there, but did not bring up a CEL.
Maybe I should wait till things reset overnight? Or cycle the main battery perhaps.

Last edited:

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...my LR4 has no lights on at all, but a further scan shows a plethora of codes from the BCM. I have most coming from all the LED bulbs i installed in the interior. I also have a few for other modules that work perfectly fine. If for some reason your heated seats for example detect a low voltage for a second back in 2014, that would set a permanent code until present. I clear mine every year or so if i'm bored. Emissions in the entire US for states that do em only care about the CEL. You could have every other light on in the car, but they only care about the CEL. My lexus has the brake, abs, vcs, battery light on due to a failing alternator i need to get done...and it still passed inspection in NYC last saturday and they're pretty damn strict when it comes to yearly inspections here in NY lol

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to point out - if you clear your codes right before going in for an emissions test, you will fail. This is because OBD2 cars have a series of readiness monitors that have to be in 'ready' state and when you clear your codes, they get reset and it takes time for them to become 'ready' again. I found this out the hard way with one of my other vehicles. This is to keep people from resetting the CEL right before a test and sneaking through.

equalizer

Reaction score
I found this out the hard way with one of my other vehicles. This is to keep people from resetting the CEL right before a test and sneaking through.

Yes, I found out about that with an old Toyota with iffy Oxygen sensors and clearing out CEL just before the inspection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut