engine resistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bird

Reaction score
i've got a 99 disco II. been running perfectly... now at 2025rpm i feel a mild resistance in the engine. once over 2025rpm the vibrations stop as well as under that rpm. the vibrations feel like engine breaking however at a cruising speed. does anyone know what this could be? an air blockage, or fuel blockage? it's been recently tuned up and i can't bear to drag it to the dealership again.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Never take a Rover to the dealer, unless you have more money than most... or it is under warranty.

Could be the MAF sensor needs cleaned, could be the VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) going bad, could be plugs or wires... lots of thing.

Please provide more info: mileage, when was the tune up... type of plugs and wires if not done at a LR shop.

bird

Reaction score
thanks for getting back to me. i've got 99K on the car now. i bought it off my cousins who only used the dealership for every little thing the car needed, i made that mistake for the first few minor checkups.
i bought it from them with 78K on it and they had just had the full on recommended 65K service done at 71K.
i just had my brakes and rotors done by a local friend, and he checked on the rest of the engine and saw nothing to be worried about.
i don't know what plugs, but all work was done by LR until i did the brakes and rotors... my cousins had the money... i am not so lucky.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by cleaning the MAF.... Pick up either some MAF cleaner or some non-residual contact cleaner.

Remove the MAF (between air filter and intake) clean internals as best you can. Let dry, reinstall and check in again.

bird

Reaction score
thanks so much for the info. i'll get on that today.
i had followed some older forums and threads with similar problems, and they in no way compare to the quality and ease of this one.
thanks again
one more thing, i was offered a discovery workshop manual for $100. i had seen some on e-bay for close to $150. i also checked out the manuals on disk, but they don't run on macintosh systems (found out the hard way) is $100 expensive for the manual, or is it pretty much the going rate?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
$100 for a real manual... not bad if you ask me...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM