Engine VERY difficult to restart after warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 Disco

This may be related to the probably clogged fuel filter that I am trying to remove but here is the starting problem:

When engine is cold it fires right up and idles great. Normal acceleration and no problems while driving along.

If I drive for a half hour then run in to the store or somewhere for a few minutes when I come back out and try to start the truck it may start but it runs like it is being fuel-starved. If it does start I have to feather the accelerator with my left foot on the brake pedal so that I can put it in gear without stalling.

If I get it in gear then I have to again pump the gas pedal to to keep moving. Eventually I can get a decent rev from the engine and get up to speed.

My thoughts are fuel filter and maybe a Seafoam treatment is needed.

Plugs are fine and ignition wires are good.

I do get intermittent Fault codes of 420 and 430 (Cat efficiency). Could bad Cats cause this?

All four O2 sensors are less than 4 months old.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be a bad fuel temp sensor, if it goes bad it will cause this same issue.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey:

Where is the fuel temp sensor located?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this helps, I think these are the correct pics.

Attachments

• fuel temp 2.jpg
    fuel temp 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 78
  • Fuel temp.jpg
    Fuel temp.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Fuel temp location.jpg
    Fuel temp location.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 77
  • fuel temp 3.jpg
    fuel temp 3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 77

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it right after I sent the post. Ordered from British Atlantic.
Thanks Joey,

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine is having a very similar problem. It is fine when it is cold and fine when it is warm. But very hard to start at a half way temp. Have to floor the pedal to start it and then let it sputter or rev it up till it idles fine and then i drive. Only lasts a few seconds but it is annoying. I am awaiting my new fuel temp sensor to show up also. Will make a post after installed to let you know if that solves the issue.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put mine in last night. I will let you know if it fixed the problem.

Thanks,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Fuel filter (that's a saga to be told another time), fuel temp sensor, spark plugs and a Seafoam treatment and she is running great. MPG way up from 11 MPG city to 14. I think I also had some sticky exhaust valves too. Seafoam seemed to take care of that pretty well.

Just turned over 100k miles and I hope to keep it going for another 100k.

97 Disco SE7

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will never say that changing the fuel filter on a D1 will be a fun experience... or even an easy one.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's been awhile since I've visited the forum. But I said I would tell about how the fuel temp sensor worked once installed. Since I have put it in, it seems to have worked a little bit. The vehicle will start up and run fine when cold or hot. But at the lukewarm stage, it still sputters a bit. Not near as bad as it used to, but enough that it is embarrasing when out in public and people walking by are giving you funny looks. Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM