Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently Finlayforprez and I purchased PD1880 compomotive wheels. Next step will be putting the right tires on those rims.
I though about starting a tread where we could find the info regarding tires people use on 18" LR4/LR3 and experience they had in different climate, terrain.
I know we can find almost all the info online but it would be good to know how LR4/ LR3 behave with those tires in different conditions.

It would be great If we could organize all the info we would like to see in the post ex

1.detailed tire info including PSI
2. any suspension mods to accommodate new tires Y/N
3. Any mods ( not suspension related) in order to accommodate a new tire size
4. Spare tire fitment
5. Performance of the tire in different environment
A. off road
- gravel, sand, heavy rocks, lose rocks, etc.
- dry vs. wet terrain
- problems with the tire on trails
B. highway performance
- dry vs. wet traction ( breaking, hydroplaning ???)
- noise
- durability, wear

What do you think? Do we need thread like this?
Maybe I am just to excited that I am getting new wheels.

SFLR4

Reaction score
Traveling in Asia right now, but based in Scottsdale AZ when back in the states.

Thinking of running BFG AT 265/65/18. It's a proven tire and always been happy with them before. Few other options have spiked interest after posts in the forum.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traveling in Asia right now, but based in Scottsdale AZ when back in the states.

Thinking of running BFG AT 265/65/18. It's a proven tire and always been happy with them before. Few other options have spiked interest after posts in the forum.
That is what bushaway has as well and they are very nice. Do you plan to run in standard height? He has Johnson Rods and Fuel racing wheels, so he has to run higher because the tires will rub. I do not want to drive higher than standard height, so I want to make sure they won't rub, etc. I know mbw has Goodyear Silent Armors in 265/65R18 and has zero rubbing. I am hoping it's the same for the BFG ATs - if I go that route.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can't go wrong with the BFG's. It is definitely a proven tire. Very capable off-road, although no all-terrain tire seems to clear itself off vey well in this sticky Florida mud. I will likely go to a mud terrain next time around. With that said, these BFG's are great in sand, clay, and on sharp rocks. Around the city and on the highway, they are very comfortable also. The tread pattern is pretty aggressive for an AT, and they are right at home in many different environments.

Like Finlay said, I have Fuel Offroad wheels with a slightly lower offset than the Compomotives. Johnson Rods and some very slight trimming in the front wheel wells was required in order to accommodate my 265/65R18's. Since mbw runs 265/65R18's on Compomotives with no suspension modification, the lower offset on my wheels is likely to blame for my need for rods.

I have my eye on these 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0v4_al8TSA

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
General Grabber AT/2

I used a set of General Grabber AT/2 tires on my '06 LR3... loved their capability while snowbound during east coast blizzards and west coast ski trips. Not able to attest to true "off road" strength as we didn't venture that way, but they were a great replacement to the "less than ideal" Goodyear Wrangler SR/A's that came with it.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any issues with increasing the total wheel size? What I mean is when going to higher profile tires the diameter increases but the smaller (18") rim might compensate and you end up with the same size wheel (total donut).

If I go for a higher profile and keep the 19" rims the total wheel will be larger. Will this affect the vehicle computer/system in any way?

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, I increased my wheel size by 2 inches. The only thing it effects is the accuracy of the speedo. The issue w the 19" rim, is te availability of tires, not enough sidewall, and their cost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA