expedition rack install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am picking up the LR expedition rack this afternoon from a guy on Craigslist for $400. He says they took it off day 1, stored it in their garage and never used it. Good deal I guess.

Does anyone know if there are any difficulties installing this thing? Mainly, I am concerned about how to attach to the front of the car... Do I need to drill?

Thanks

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front two mounts are covered with a screw thats underneath the plastic strip guard things (right above the front doors). To get to those, you need to take off the plastic rail cap at the very front of the roof rails with a hex screw driver and then slide the front two plastic covers up and out. You will then unscrew the bolts (painted body color) and put the shim that the roof rack comes with above the opening (but underneath the plastic covers when you put them back on, they will sit in between the sheet metal and the plastic strip). The only thing you need to drill is a small hole in the front two plastic strip covers that you took off so that you can screw the bolt into the hole when you put them back on. The back 4 mounts are a simple matter of sliding the bracket underneath the rails then lining them up underneath the rack and bolting it down.

Last edited:

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it installed last night. It only took about 25 minutes. Thanks, for the help. It actually is super quiet on the highway and I can open the sunroof without a jet engine sound like before. The only downside is that it does block a lot of light coming into the cabin. All in all I am quite happy with the rack so far...and it looks really cool too. For $400, it really can't be beat.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the rules of this forum, you are now required to post pictures... :smile:

AdvRide

Reaction score
I took the top portion of my expedition rack off because it was so freaking loud on the highway. The remaining cross rails and ability to add the tie down eyelets whereever I need them and the added protection for the glass roof is great.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it installed last night. It only took about 25 minutes. Thanks, for the help. It actually is super quiet on the highway and I can open the sunroof without a jet engine sound like before. The only downside is that it does block a lot of light coming into the cabin. All in all I am quite happy with the rack so far...and it looks really cool too. For $400, it really can't be beat.

Super quiet? What the heck were you using before because my expedition rack is anything BUT super quiet! Watch out over time for the thin panels loosening up snd squeeking too - I tape mine to prevent them moving although a single spot weld would do it too.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why its quiet, but unless your at 80mph plus, there is just a slight wind rushing noise. It isn't any worse than the yakima rack I have on our jeep. There is no whistling at all, which is better than all the racks I have had on other cars. I didn't install the plastic covers for the front attachment points(forgot and didn't feel like fixing it), so maybe that has helped.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that the comparison may be between your old rack and the expedition rack with the sun roof closed. I would agree that there is no noticeable noise with the rack when the roof is closed.

When the sun roof is open there is a significant amount of wind noise at pretty much all speeds compared to a stock LR3 with no rack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635