Extended Warranty Info ( a bit long)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

threeputt

For those who don't know me, my Rover is an '05 HSE(7). I just passed 30k on it so I did some calling around about extended warranties. None was available in Jan '05 when I bought the Rover. This is all according to LR Gulf Coast in Mobile, AL, and I'm posting in case any of you other seasoned LR3 owners are approaching that time and I hope it is useful for you.

It is not a 3rd party warranty, rather it is an actual LR warranty and is transferrable. Being the original owner makes a big difference in the coverage you are able to get as well. Myself being the original owner, that is all I was interested in.

One caveat, besides being the original owner, is that once you're within 5k miles or 3 months prior to the original factory warranty expiring, the deal is off. The LR extended warranty MUST be purchased prior to that.

An LR3 is an LR3 for plan purposes. Trim level makes no difference. The extended coverage is bumper to bumper, electronics, mechanics, the whole 9 yards. Just like the warranty we have now, and is good at any LR dealer. For the deductibles I will list below, they are per visit, rather than per problem. This means if you choose a plan with a $200 deductible, it would pay to try and tolerate the little things until you have a laundry list to take to the dealer and have them all addressed under the single $200 deductible. Also on the prices I was quoted, the mileage limitations are straightforward. The time limitations, however, are calculated from the "in-service date". For example, My LR3 hit the road in Jan '05. This means if I purchase an extended warranty for 7 yrs/100k miles, the 7 year clock started ticking in Jan '05. I would effectively only gain an additional 3 years on top of the original 4 years.

Additionally, there is no limit on the number of claims you can have. Wheel and tire replacement (other than normal wear and tear) are included, as are 24 roadside assistance, rental car (or loaner LR3 if available), as normal under the original warranty.

Prices I was quoted are in this format: X yrs/X miles - X$ deductible = $X cost.
Also good to know, the extended warranties price increases run in two year cycles. The last increase was in '05, so this fall prices are due to go up again, normally several hundred dollars at least. If you have the coin and plan to do so anyway, there is no reason not to jump now.

7 years/85,000 miles - $0 deductible = $5079.00
7 years/85,000 miles - $100 deductible = $3850.00
7 years/85,000 miles - $200 deductible = $3352.00

7 years/100,000 miles - $0 deductible = $5495.00
7 years/100,000 miles - $100 deductible = $4095.00
7 years/100,000 miles - $200 deductible = $3642.00

Hope this helps,

Jeff

DefenderFanCA

Reaction score
That's great data, thanks.

I leased mine, mainly due to all the bad press from the JD Powers surveys. I've had the truck just over one year now, with absolutely zero problems of any kind. Most reliable, off-the-floor perfect vehicle I've ever owned. Go figure. Even my Lexus had little faults here and there in its first year.

I kind of regret the lease now, as I really like the truck, and since it is a lease I don't buy any toys for it, like a brush bar or extra lights. And with these extended warranties, it makes long term ownership even more attractive.

Oh well. In two years I have to turn the truck in, I'll have to make a call on buying a new one or buying this one off the lease, depending on the deal.

Either way, I'm hooked. I just can't imagine buying a luxury car again, when I can have an LR that is both a great truck, a great recreational vehicle, and a superior luxury car, all in one.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff, I am EXTREMELY thankful that you posted this data. I have been asking my service rep about warranties on the past three visits and he always gave me the quick answer of me being able to buy it any time, no worries, they'll get back to me, etc. etc. I just had the car in for its 45K checkup (and its just under 45K still...I think.) I have been waiting for him to get back to me on the warranty information but it sounds like I am SOL once it hits 45K (which, for all I know it already has).

I'll call them right now and prod them for information.

I do plan on keeping it and will decide on one of the two plans I guess.

It is a lot of money, but there are too many little computer, sensor and other issues which take hours to debug and I can't see paying hundreds of dollars for these in the future. It is a gamble, though, if it will all balance out or not.

-todd

T

threeputt

Todd, what did you find out? Are they gonna be cool about it or are you SOL?

PakiRover

Reaction score
Same boat as you guys. Just bought a 2006 LR3 with 33,000k mi from non-LR dealer. Have been watching the forums and have been gettin a lot of good advice, thank you all. Just wanted to add my experience w extended warranty coverage. Went to LR San Antonio and was quoted the following:
6yr/100k for $3424
7yr/100k for 3995
6yr/75K for 2874
I am also required to undergo a 140 point inspection for cost of 160, but I dont know if this is because I bought from non-LR dealer. All prices above with $100 deductable per repair, not complaint. Also, I have until within 1 month or 1000 mi of expiration of new vehicle warranty to purchase the extended warranty (this is also written on the extended protection brochure). The plan is transferrable. As for price increases, the dealer stated that the price is the same no matter what the milage is (poss specific to 2006?), but each year the cost of repairs are re-assessed and the plan price might increase based on that, usually the 1st of each year.
Since I will probably exceed milage limits before year limits, I plan on getting the 6yr/100k warranty before the year ends. Its only $500 more for an additional 25k mi of coverage compared to the 75K mi plans. Hope this info helps some of ya'll

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought it today.

They were very cool about it. Didn't even ask to see the mileage, actually, just asked me what was on the car.

I had called before I came in and the service adviser said there is some leeway. I suspect since I'm a familiar customer and I had originally asked about it prior to 45K, it could help if anyone pushed the issue, but no one did.

BUT, the interesting info I found is that on the LR Extended Warranty brochure I was given, it says you have until 49,000 miles or 1 month before your warranty ends to purchase. So, ask your local dealer. I'm not sure what the time period really is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72