Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I bought my through the seller dealer. Not cheap but it’s paid for itself many times. Safe-Guard out of Atlanta,Georgia. First it was the fuel pump. Second was a brand new engine at a cost of $17,000 with out of pocket to me $250.00. Over heated. It runs for two years. Bought the gap tool so believe me I will watch all faults and have them fixed prior to the warranty expiration date.

D Morgan

Reaction score
So since my 2013 bit the dust, I am shopping for another one but looking to supplement it with an extended warranty this time, to prevent future unpleasantries with engines seizing, etc. What are the best options out there for a 2012-2013, assuming I can even get coverage for something that old? I do my own maintenance so something that would cover catastrophic failures(such as an engine seizing, etc) would be plenty. Having never had a warranty before, sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance!

D Morgan

Reaction score
Warranties are sold just like life insurance- the newer, lesser the mileage the cheaper it is. Some extended warranties will not off "full" coverage to older, high mileage vehicles. * Do not purchase the warranties sold on T.V. pitched by high paid actors. These are not good and many shops refuse to accept them. They often try to reduce the labor cost to the shop and will pay for only the cheapest part available to fix the car.(China) Instances where a transmission or engine has failed, in the fine print they can send a used LKQ(like kind and quality) which means they find one from a salvage yard with similar mileage to your vehicle. And...you had better be able to send in receipts for oil changes, trans services, differential services or whatever failed maintenance records or it will be denied up front. Many shops refuse to installed used parts as the used one may not be much better than what came out. Again, it's in the fine print. The reason why they are less expensive.
Keep in mind they are fixing the car to last until the end of their warranty period, not the long haul, the way we are thinking. Example-If the used trans fails again in 2 years and the warranty has expired, then you have to replace it with the cost entirely on you.
I would highly recommend calling the JLR dealer and find out who they use.
Also call other dealerships of other brands for pricing. Be prepared for a high quote. The reputable extended warranty companies know that LR, Jag, Benz, BMW,etc are expensive to repair. But they will authorize proper repairs using oem parts most of the time.
Those warranty companies will be familiar with the repair costs and not try to shortchange the repair shop. Even if you take your car to a good independent shop, they will likely accept the warranty.
Extended warranties are a prime example of you get what you pay for.
Nothing is worse than paying a few grand for a warranty that sucks. Do your homework and know it won't be cheap. But, with the costs of complete eng/trans repairs that can easily exceed 10k, it's worth having a warranty.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any leads on a source for good rebuilt engines? Seeing roverlandparts.com selling them for 12k, which seems really steep. Labor to put it in is about 5k, give or take.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what it is that drives these engines to be so much more expensive then the predecessors?

Is it because the aluminum blocks are so difficult to machine/ rebuild? I understand they are newer, but the LR3 engines are all selling for less than $4k while both LR4 v6 and v8 are over $12k?

Reaction score
Warranties are sold just like life insurance- the newer, lesser the mileage the cheaper it is. Some extended warranties will not off "full" coverage to older, high mileage vehicles. * Do not purchase the warranties sold on T.V. pitched by high paid actors. These are not good and many shops refuse to accept them. They often try to reduce the labor cost to the shop and will pay for only the cheapest part available to fix the car.(China) Instances where a transmission or engine has failed, in the fine print they can send a used LKQ(like kind and quality) which means they find one from a salvage yard with similar mileage to your vehicle. And...you had better be able to send in receipts for oil changes, trans services, differential services or whatever failed maintenance records or it will be denied up front. Many shops refuse to installed used parts as the used one may not be much better than what came out. Again, it's in the fine print. The reason why they are less expensive.
Keep in mind they are fixing the car to last until the end of their warranty period, not the long haul, the way we are thinking. Example-If the used trans fails again in 2 years and the warranty has expired, then you have to replace it with the cost entirely on you.
I would highly recommend calling the JLR dealer and find out who they use.
Also call other dealerships of other brands for pricing. Be prepared for a high quote. The reputable extended warranty companies know that LR, Jag, Benz, BMW,etc are expensive to repair. But they will authorize proper repairs using oem parts most of the time.
Those warranty companies will be familiar with the repair costs and not try to shortchange the repair shop. Even if you take your car to a good independent shop, they will likely accept the warranty.
Extended warranties are a prime example of you get what you pay for.
Nothing is worse than paying a few grand for a warranty that sucks. Do your homework and know it won't be cheap. But, with the costs of complete eng/trans repairs that can easily exceed 10k, it's worth having a warranty.
Just keep it short and to the point

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA