Final warranty service checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week was a milestone. The factory warranty expired at 50K miles, just a few weeks shy of 4 years of ownership.

50KSmall.jpg

Just finished the final service visit under warranty, and thought it would be a good idea to share. There were several common LR3 issues, and some not-so-common problems to look for. Thought it would be a good idea to list them here for other owners who are approaching this milestone.

Many thanks to Land Rover West Chester for outstanding customer service over the years.

Even though this vehicle had many service visits, all issues have been sorted out and it is still retaining it's position in the JackMac fleet as the family hauler and long distance drive of choice. Not to mention being all-weather and all-terrain unstoppable machine.

I do not plan to purchase an extended warranty. How about that for confidence! (or more likely, just foolish optimism)

03/07/2005 - Production date
04/30/2005 - Delivery 2005 HSE with every available factory option except cooler box.

Checklist from the final warranty visit:

* Harsh downshift during a rolling stop (commonly reported issue). It was previously reflashed with the updated ZF code during B036 recall campaign, but the problem never cleared. The dealership reloaded engine management and transmission modules. Problem solved!
* Front/rear window washers not working. Found blown fuse, and found a ground fault. Repaired and resolved.
* Replace airbag cover on steering wheel due to warped top (also a common issue).
* The battery was replaced. The dealership took the initiative, and replaced it under warranty, I did not report any issue. Kudos to them for proactive replacement!
* Right rear passenger door latch sticking when opening from inside. Cable assembly ordered and repaired.
* Trim fastener fell off between rear seats, and was replaced.
* Front electronic defrost not functional. Dealership was unable to duplicate (however temps were above freezing). I subsequently video recorded the condition. No defrost action after 15 minutes. Dealer still unable to verify. At least it is on record and I have it fully documented. Will address the next time it is below freezing here in the Northeast.

Service history highlights:

* Several alignment and tire wear issues starting at 5K miles. Original Goodyears replaced under warranty at 6K miles (thanks to LR and Goodyear for taking action. This was before the alignment TSB came out).
* Clock spring replaced twice. Once at around 5K miles, second at 45K miles due to recall
* Air suspension compressor replaced twice (once before the recall due to failure, once again after the recall)
* Replaced missing voice activation button on steering wheel (factory defect, it was never installed)
* Fuel filler bezel replaced (would not close)
* Replaced cargo cover (it broke)
* Infotainment software upgrade (twice, due to different issues)
* Engine management software upgrade (twice, due to different issues)
* A-pillar water leak (common issue, sunroof drain tubes serviced)
* Fuel tank replaced (NHTSA safety recall)
* B036 service campaign
* Replaced front "LAND ROVER" lettering on hood under warranty due to discoloration (common issue)
* Replaced steering wheel under warranty due to leather cracking at 37K (common issue)
* Replaced coolant level sensor due to falze alerts (common issue)
* Brake pads, rotors, and sensors replaced at 39K (out-of-pocket)
* Decided not to address the hairline cracks in the sunroof rails. Owners who have had them replaced report that the problem comes back very soon.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent post.

I hit 50k a few months ago I bought it used oct 07 I did purchace a 3rd party ext warr to 75k

Things done since I have owned the 05 se-7 v8

-Vehicle Collant level sensor Replaced on way home from picking up from Chicago
-Ash tray would not stay in, Replaced
-New battery Nov 07
-Sun Roof replaced -wind noise and H2O leak, cleaned Drain tubes, I have crackes on new rails- replaced Jan-Feb 08
-Air bag cover warped and steering wheel wearing Replaced
-Cd player stoped working replace head unit, then No sound from radio updated radio flash
-Rear hatch bolt came loose and dopped off
-LR Hood lettering
All of the above was replaced under warranty - I was treated excellent by LR in Grand Rapids Mich
I didnt even get it from them They did not have a used 05 with the options I wanted at that time.

~Tire shop broke my compressor mounts they paid for the fix.
~New brakes Local shop 200 bucks.
~No tire wear issues when I got it the GYs were wore bad so I just put new tires on the first month I had it "Avon- excellent all season" Recently upgraded to Cooper Zeon needed a more agressive tire.

So far no Issues and have been Very happy I would buy again.:hello:

Last edited:

racehorse

Reaction score
Ditto great post. thanks for the update; im approaching 50k too 06lr3 se.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent post.
Great post! Thanks
Ditto great post. thanks for the update; im approaching 50k too 06lr3 se.

Thanks for the responses.

I should have also mention that free maintenance and roadside assistance expire at the same time. Time to go shopping for a new roadside assist program.

Anyone using AAA or similar offering? I've used them in the past, but it's been a while since I've had a vehicle past the warranty period. I also have access to a discounted program through BMW CCA membership that would cover up to 4 vehicles for $57/year.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roadside assist often comes free with an extended service contract a/k/a extended warranty, but you might find that you had more choices at lower costs had you acted on that before your factory coverage expired . . . unless you already picked one that you know still works.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roadside assistance is offered on most, if not all, the extended warranties I've reviewed. I've had AAA for about 15 years, with mixed feelings. The couple of times I REALLY needed them they were difficult to work with. Once was a busted transmission 1/2 way on a 500 mile trip between Santa Fe, NM and Sierra Vista, AZ. I was 10 miles from the interstate and in the middle of no-where. It took about 3 hours for a tow truck to get to me from Silver City. AAA would only cover the first 3 miles of my tow to Sierra Vista because I had only just signed up for the 100 mile tow (after we thought we were signed up and discovered that the payments hadn't been processed). $300 later, $1/mile, I rolled into Sierra Vista at 4 AM, just in time to brush my teeth, get my dog settled, and change into PT gear to meet my morning Army formation for PT.
USAA also offers some kind of roadside assistance when you get insurance through them. Take your pick on what works best for you and your situation. I'll most likely pick up the extended warranty to 100K, despite the cost, based on the long distance travel I do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72