finally making appointment for cross over pipe replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've read a ton of threads on this. Our 2015 Lux has always has a slight coolant smell after wife parks it in the garage. It just passed 50k miles and I noticed the smell is more noticeable now. there is no visually perceivable loss of coolant, so I suspect the front and/or read crossovers/manifold are seeping just enough to produce the tell tale smell.

I am calling both Biggs and Lamorna (greater Seattle) to set up and appointment to have the work done. Can someone give me the elevato pitch on what to tell them? Wondering if they are going to be like "what, you want me to replace something for insurance?".

And, for our 2015 LR4 Lux, what part numbers they be using?

Note: this is our last year with the LR4 as wife has fallen in love with new tech that is available now and we typically keep cars for only 5 years anyway. So, we are replacing it with a 2023 Ford Expedition Stealth next year with blue cruise and a giant flat screen. So, given the tax advantage of trading in WA state, we'll probably be trading it in, so I don't need to do items that are nice to have for long term ownership.

thanks

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a tough break to have to replace the coolant crossovers when planning to sell the car in a year. It’s likely a pretty expensive repair at a shop. But it also would truly suck to have them burst right before you sell the car. I did mine at 52K, and that was about the earliest I’ve seen on these forums.

As for what to tell the shop, I think you can just explain that the coolant crossovers are plastic and prone to catastrophic failure as evidenced by these forums. Since you’re smelling coolant, you‘d like them replaced as a precaution and, hopefully, to address the coolant smell. Obviously, if they see something else that’s actually leaking (e.g., water pump or oil cooler tube out the back of the pump), you’d want to address that too.

fireangel1313

Reaction score
Honestly it may be in your best interest to look at selling your LR4 now before you take it to the dealership and sink a ton of money into fixing that cross over piping, etc. The turbo charged V6s have been known to fail earlier than the V8 versions. I just replaced mine (2013) at 130k and it really wasn't that difficult. Cost around $250 in parts and took me about 4 hours to do. The dealership will charge you significantly more than that obviously unless you have an extended warranty of some kind. Anyhow, that's my opinion.
Looking at that Ford Stealth version, it's a nice looking rig but won't ride like the LR4. :) Good luck!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly it may be in your best interest to look at selling your LR4 now before you take it to the dealership and sink a ton of money into fixing that cross over piping, etc. The turbo charged V6s have been known to fail earlier than the V8 versions. I just replaced mine (2013) at 130k and it really wasn't that difficult. Cost around $250 in parts and took me about 4 hours to do. The dealership will charge you significantly more than that obviously unless you have an extended warranty of some kind. Anyhow, that's my opinion.
Looking at that Ford Stealth version, it's a nice looking rig but won't ride like the LR4. :) Good luck!

Yeah, talked about that with my wife, but just didn't feel right selling it to someone knowing this is a weak point and not fixing it. Big believer in Karma that way. Lamorna gave us a quote of $950 which is great, but I am just worried I spend another $2000 replacing glass and interior components when it gets broken into in that neighborhood. Waiting on a quote from Biggs Eastside.

We do have an extended service plan but it does not cover them and no extended plan covers something that isn't technically broken yet, so here is that.

As for the stealth Exped, we are ordering it with the continuously controlled dampening which should help with the ride, but you are right, no SUV rides like an LR4 lux, it's a really nice driving experience which I will miss. Just couldn't get on board with that god awful looking LR5. years later and I still hate the looks so bad that we are brand jumping to a Ford.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut