First Off-Pavement Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Well I took my month old LR3 for its real run off pavement Sunday. About a 40 mile ride off pavement up the back side of Mount Lemon near Tucson Arizona. Most of the trip is easy, but there are some interesting things like a few pretty chunky washes to get through, and the last 10 miles or so is very rough. Then there are a few spots to stop and do some hill climbing, which we did.

I have taken this route in a 2002 Tundra SE5 4x4 access cab, a 2004 SE 4 door 4x4 Titan, and now my LR3. The LR3 far outperformed either truck, with the Tundra coming in #2 and the Titan dead last. I would not even attempt to get the Titan up the hill climbing spots and the Tundra was a primitive sled compared to how the LR3 zipped up. No doubt about it, the LR3 handled that little ride far, far better than either of my recent trucks.

This is not to say the trucks were bad, the Titan was great on the street and would out run an LR3 if the Titan has a 1500# payload. But for off road and foul weather, the LR3 stands head and shoulders above both trucks.

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Houm, please do not take my word for it. Please check out http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...-2004-nissan-titan-se-crew-cab-4x4-page7.html

The all-aluminum V-8 outdisplaces all but the Hemi, and it’s alive. In 0-to-60 runs, only the Titan breaks into the sevens (7.6 exactly). The Hemi ties in a few measures of acceleration, but the Nissan runs away from the others.

Here is the LR3 HSE V8 which I also own: http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/9025/land-rover-lr3-hse.html

...the new 4.4-liter DOHC engine is even 18 horses more powerful than the BMW-sourced 4.4-liter found under the Range Rover's bonnet. But pulling all that weight, it takes 8.2 seconds to clear 60 mph, which is slower than most of the LR3's competition....

If you would like to run some anecdotal empirical stuff, go race against a Titan from a stop light. I mean, why believe what Car and Driver shows or what I have to say, I have only owned them both. The LR3 does not have the low end grunt the Titan does, the easy ability to fling one back in the driver's seat. If you need more proof, go test drive a Titan.

Anyways, this is all neither here nor there. Cheers.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The titan is too fast, the LR3 is too fast, IMO. Maybe I'm just used to the old rovers. 0-60 in two or three minutes

Wayfarer

Reaction score
roverman said:
The titan is too fast, the LR3 is too fast, IMO. Maybe I'm just used to the old rovers. 0-60 in two or three minutes

Good point Roverman! That is actually one of the many reasons I moved into an LR3. I wanted to slow down. I was driving too aggressively in my hot-rod truck and needed to take some system constraint type steps to mellow my driving out. That and it looks much better pulling up to the valet and getting out with a made-to-measure suit on in an LR3 vs. a pick up truck :)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. I have an Armada and have to agree - the V8 and gearing that thing are a joy to grab some hefty throttle with. The LR3 feels light and nimble in comparison, but nowhere near as powerfull.

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverman said:

and that was only after the 2nd or 3rd start.

Cpa4S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayfarer said:
Good point Roverman! That is actually one of the many reasons I moved into an LR3. I wanted to slow down. I was driving too aggressively in my hot-rod truck and needed to take some system constraint type steps to mellow my driving out. That and it looks much better pulling up to the valet and getting out with a made-to-measure suit on in an LR3 vs. a pick up truck :)

we are out of a loaded Pacifica for this - the LR3 seems like a rocket ship. spouse already got 1 ticket in the 1st week.

great tale on the off road, thanks

H

Houm_WA

oK...first of all, you are talking about acceleration when you compare 0-60 times, and your original quote said it could outrun an LR3...so top speed and ability to maintain stability at said speed both become factors. I would not argue the acceleration with you.

In fact, I wouldn't even see a point in arguing such a thing, because in both cases we are talking about trucks....who cares how fast they are? They're not meant for speed. If I wanted to out run (and out-accelerate !) a Titan, I'd just buy a sports car !

Now let's compare things that both are made for, like offroad capability.

...not to split hairs or be otherwise argumentative or anything. :)

Wayfarer

Reaction score
Houm_WA said:
oK...first of all, you are talking about acceleration when you compare 0-60 times, and your original quote said it could outrun an LR3...so top speed and ability to maintain stability at said speed both become factors. I would not argue the acceleration with you.
Questionable parsing but whatever you say. Further, the Titan is electronically governed to 114, at which speed I found it to be very stable.
Houm_WA said:
In fact, I wouldn't even see a point in arguing such a thing, because in both cases we are talking about trucks....who cares how fast they are? They're not meant for speed. If I wanted to out run (and out-accelerate !) a Titan, I'd just buy a sports car !
A Ford SVT Lightning or Dodge SRT might argue with you. At 0-60 in just over five seconds, the vast majority of sports cars will not run with that. However, I never claimed my Titan would do that, just that it leaves my LR3 in the rearview mirror on pavement. Strong acceleration is nice to merge into traffic, passing, and just general fun. In city driving, it is actually pretty useful.
Houm_WA said:
Now let's compare things that both are made for, like offroad capability.

...not to split hairs or be otherwise argumentative or anything. :)

Houm! That is EXACTLY what I did in my OP. The bulk of my OP was a comparison between the off road capabilities of my Tundra, Titan, and LR3. It is not like I started a thread on drag racing a Titan vs. an LR3, that was just a tag line to mainly make it not look like I was trashing the Titan, just explaining it was not nearly the off road machine the LR3 is. So not to be argumentative or a hair splitter myself, but you already have the comparison you are now asking for.

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak