Florida Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rovering

Hello I am new to the Forum. Please take a short breath.
I have a 2001 Disco II with 49K miles bought used. Not having the service records, I decided to change all the fluids pronto. The engine Oil seems quite dark and seemed to be at about or past its intended limit of use. I replaced it with AMSOIL Synthetic 20/50 (which I have used in my BMW M5) a good oil with a good record…just expensive at 7.50 a quart. I changed my tranny fluid draining it into a basin of 7.5 quarts capacity. The basin was full almost full to the brim with the drained fluid. My estimate was that it was at least 7 quarts. Now common sense tells me that I have to replace at least the volume of fluid that I removed. I followed the procedure to replace the fluid, using “Penzoil Dexron III Mercon ATF”. Try as I might however I did not seem able to replace all the “removed” ATF fluid. I followed the procedure running the truck thru the gears a number of times and by my measurement was only able to replace what seems to be about 5.7 quarts (measuring what came out of the “Penzoil” bottles). I even turned the Vehicle around to make certain it was on level ground…..still fluid continued to drain out the refill hole as I try to pump in more. I finally gave up. Full is full. I have to assume my measure was not exacting and that the tranny was at its full capacity. Since that maintenance the truck has been driven 150 miles with no problem…..the one exception was that after hitting some bumpy highway construction the “TC” the “ABS” and the “Hill descent control(HDC) failure” simultaneously came on with 3 chimes. I pulled over after driving another 300 yards, shut off, waited 5 minutes, restarted, lights went away….so far so good.
Just curious as to if anyone else has had this experience. I also have a question relating to the use of synthetic ATF. I had actually purchased AMSOIL ATF synthetic with DEXRON III for the tranny, but after consulting with two local LAND ROVER “DeEYElers”, I was dissuaded from using it. They stated that ZF (the tranny manufacturer) was not keen on synthetics being used in the tranny. Would someone please give me the scoop on this? This is probably some of the best synthetics money can buy…but of course not being an hydraulics/chemical engineer, I don’t know what the issues are.
Regarding the rest of the fluid change; I will be replacing the existing Transfer Case and Differentials fluids with AMSOILS Synthetic Gear Lube, 80W/90 this week end. Does anyone see an issue with using this Fluid? I will then move on to the Coolant, Power Steering, Active Cornering and Brake fluid next. I have some ATE TYPE 200 brake fluid “extra long replacement intervals” DOT 4, out of Germany. The boiling point is 200 C (536 F). Is anyone familiar with or see a problem using this?
Can someone please fill me in on the type of fluid for the Active Cornering?
Thanks and sorry for the long post. Great Forum!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you not only have a new family member, but that you are taking good care of it. As far as fluids go, I have never heard of the Transmission not liking Synthetic fluids. I haven't switched to synthetic in the Transmission, but have on everything else with no issues (with the exception of brake fluid). Don't have an ACE equipped Disco, so I am not sure on the type of fluid there.

Just one piece of advise, stick with the Champion plugs... I have way too many issues when you switch to high end plugs. I would also recommend when you do go to change the wires to go with Magnacore.. best (opinion) plug wire for the Disco made.

Hope you enjoy you Disco and please take it off road, they like that.

R

rovering

Joey, thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. Aside from the engine oil change, I have ordered a K&N air filter. But its running quite nicely at the moment....so that will be all the "topside" maintenance for this month. One thing I neglected to mention in my previous post was that the Dealer Rep I spoke with recommended that I use Castrol ATF as that was what it was shipped with. Castrol Tranny fluid is quite difficult to find. Other than the Internet, the only other place I was able to locate it was "Auto Zone" at $34.50 for a box of 12 Quarts. I also found a hand pump at Autozone ($4.00) which was quite nifty for tranferring fluid from any gallon container or "big mouth" quart bottles to the vehicle. As much as I love the sight of the underside of the Disco, this simple pump will reduce the time spent there...unless you want to pay big $ and step up to the Professional units. I am still hanging on to the AMSOIL Synthetic tranny fluid until I get a good reason why I should not use it.
Happy Rovering.....

D

disco1

Be sure to use only Castrol Brake Fluid in both your clutch and brake systems to prevent seal failures. The DOT 3-4 rating has nothing to do with the fluid's compatibility with your Rover's hydraulic system. If you take your Rover to a local shop for repair, insist on Castrol Brake Fluid. Personally, other than upgrading your engine oil, the other lubricants are more than adequate. Vehicle manufacturers have tested their vehicles over many years and have found that the recommended oils are the best for their products. No manufacturer would dream of using a second rate oil for the benefit of cost saving. It would make poor economic sense.

R

rovering

Fluids for OEM

Disco1, Thanks for the advice on the Brake Fluid. Ditto on the manufacturer recommendation of fluids for OEM.

D

DiscoStu

Rovering, I had an almost exactly the same experience with changing the tranny fluid and those lights coming on etc... Did you get anywhere with that? Thanks, D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99