Fluid transmission leaking from the measure stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erocita

Reaction score
I just serviced my Disco 1995 TDI automatic, 196,000 kms.

My problems was power steering pumb recondicioned and transmission oil changed and of course a few bits and pieces as well.

I have had a transmission overheat lights come on in my panel twice when I was driving uphill to the snow fields in NZ. I **** to the garage to service it, and the mechanic told me that the fluid was very dirty and full of "pieces" of some material, I don't know what was that, but the problem was when I **** the car off the garage and drove back to my town, 500 kms far from the garage.
I stoped once in the middle of the road (+- 300 kms) in the way when the gear was not changing up , just down. I turned the engine off and wait for while and than the gear started work again. I kept driving till almost my town, when the problem occur again, but this time the gear didn't engage anymore. I had to be toll to the nearest town to fix the car.

The mechanic found the lid open were the measure stick is, than we though the other mechanic probably forgot to close it. We have to refill the fluid with 4,5 liters and I could drive back to my town. I arrived at home... (this happened just today) and I opened the bonnet and I found the lid off again.

Is that possible that the pressure inside of the transmission is so high that is pumping the lid off? any suggestion?

I had spent 3,300 dollars already to fix all the problems, power steering and transmission, I don't want to have any unpleasent surprise anymore. Than I decide to find out some information before I take it to the mechanic again. By the way, I am woman and it is not easy to don't be Ripp off by the mechanics in any place in the world.... :ahhhhh:

Any help will be welcome.

Cheers.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... as far as the transmission issue, if you the mechanic found stuff in the fluid, this is normally the torque converter slowly falling apart. As far as the pressure build up, this could be a clogged tube in the transmission or a sign of overheating. If it was me, I would add a transmission cooler and switch to synthetic transmission fluid.

erocita

Reaction score
Hi Joe,

I did some research in this forum, and aparantely you are the guru over here... lol...:adore:

Thanks for your advice, I will try this option before I have to reopen the transmission and find out that I have to change the whole thing.

Only one more question, why is the fluid leaking from the lid? it have never happend before, even when I had the red light coming form the panel?

Cheers.

erocita

Reaction score
Well,

I talked to the mechanic and he asked me to take a look at the breathing hose of the transmission, if it is blocked than probably that is the reason to leak from the top of the measure stick (I am sorry, but english is not my primary language, than I don't know the proper names).

My problem now is : I have no money to keep digging this to find out the problem, is this something easy that probably I can do it by myself? sounds stupid question, but I am pretty sure, if I don't have to dismount anything, I am abble to do it, of course with some instructions and maybe pictures or plans of the hoses explaining what is what.

Any help, pleeeeeeeeeeease!!

Cheers.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I can thing of is heat causing the fluid to expand which builds up pressure. The other reason for going with synthetic, it will not expand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4