For those of you thinking about the upcoming winter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do not get much snow in Boise area, but there is a lot of ice. All-seasons are not any better on ice than summer tires. Dedicated snow tires also use a different rubber compound that remains flexible at sub-freezing temperatures. I don't plan on going off-road with the snows

My justification is that a set of snow tires is far cheaper than bent sheet metal and increased insurance premiums. A set of snows generally will last us 4-6 winters, although depending on how many miles you rack up, you may experience shorter lifespan.

See attached PDF file for a good article about the difference between all-season tires and winter tires.
Thanks - I understand the compound differences and temps. I just hate how in this area in the spring it could be subzero one day and 70 the next and then I have to do a quick flip of the winter tires so I don't **** them on the road. I think for now I'm going to see how this winter goes and decide on if I want to maintain yet another set of tires for next winter. I did that with my GTI but that was just an ice skate in the winter without them.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, "survive" is not the optimal word to use for the wife - I am looking to make her feel confident on the road! My wife has Wrangler Duratracs on her RR
Nice! Ever since I bought my LR I've been trying to convince my wife that her next car should be a LR or RR but she's super content with the 11 year old XC90. We drove that through an ice storm on I65 with all seasons and it was glued to the road. We passed countless ditched cars, trucks, suvs and just kept going. It's going to be a tough sell when that thing dies to get her to think anything other than Volvo. :)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she's super content with the 11 year old XC90.

My wife had an XC90 of that approximate vintage and I remember it being great in snow. I drove it before I understood that Snow mode significantly softened throttle response and possibly shift points to avoid spinning the wheels. At first I thought the thing had gone into some type of limp mode or that the engine was bogging down or that I had left the parking brake engaged. Finally figured that out.

I thought it was a nice vehicle but she had some chronic electrical problems with hers and got stranded at an airport parking lot one night and that was the end of that sled.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok - I have to ask as I am in the midwest we do get a fair amount of snow at times. Are you guys mounting winter tires with the expectation of using them offroad at some point or is it simply because the all season tires don't work well with the fluff on the roads? I've driven through a blizzard in a 2wd SUV with all seasons and survived quite well. This will be my first winter with the LR and just want to make sure I'm prepared for it.

I live near the ocean in the Boston area where it typically rains before it changes to snow or rains after it snows. It's never a problem getting traction in an LR4 regardless of tires. However, winter tires are all about turning and stopping these heavy vehicles, especially in slushy conditions. We also do weekend ski trips to VT where you encounter deep snow and snow tires are a must.

I think winter tires would be useless off road. Tread patterns are designed to move slush and water to the outer edges. The tiny sipes are designed to grab on ice only.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I understand the compound differences and temps. I just hate how in this area in the spring it could be subzero one day and 70 the next and then I have to do a quick flip of the winter tires so I don't **** them on the road.

The snows are fine above freezing, but don't grip as well as temps start getting higher (say, 60F+). As long as you're not racking up hundreds or thousands of miles on the snows on warm/dry pavement, there's no reason to swap them out for a short warm spell mid-winter. As noted above, winter tires have a real advantage in stopping and turning on ice/slush/etc vs all-seasons.

I see some people leaving their studless snows on all summer (!), which is obviously not a good idea, unless the snows are past their useful life (generally when below ~50% tread depth), at that point they're fine as an all-season but lose their awesome winter capabilities. And of course they wear rapidly in 90F ambients, lol.

:eek:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is just easier to have winter tires on a second set of wheels. You can put them on and take them off at home and tighten the lug nuts to the proper torque which nobody seems to do.

However, living in SE PA winter tires may be overkill. You could go with a Nokian WRG3 SUV which is an all weather tire that works great in winter and is just fine to use year round.

Oh, I also forgot one truly good reason is tire shops will totally f-u-k up land rover metal capped style wheel nuts such that the 22mm won't fit anymore and you have to resort to 23 which just makes it worse over time. i think they just stick on whatever seems close enough.

Next they always put low ass psi like 30's in obviously oversized E load tires on my lr3 with equally obvious steel parts all over it. I have to run close to 50 psi just to not feel like it's swaying all over the road. They are morons for the most part.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do not get much snow in Boise area, but there is a lot of ice. All-seasons are not any better on ice than summer tires. Dedicated snow tires also use a different rubber compound that remains flexible at sub-freezing temperatures. I don't plan on going off-road with the snows

My justification is that a set of snow tires is far cheaper than bent sheet metal and increased insurance premiums. A set of snows generally will last us 4-6 winters, although depending on how many miles you rack up, you may experience shorter lifespan.

See attached PDF file for a good article about the difference between all-season tires and winter tires.

Exactly, and people have to stay diligent about getting the soft compound tires off as soon as the temps will stay more often above 40 ish.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She needs new tires - hates the look of the WRG3 - she wants a beefy tire. So far the only 19" one she can live with visually is the Zeon LTZ, but I am not sure they will ultimately be much different than the DuraTracs. So, I was contemplatiing getting Winter tires, which would justify the non-beefy look for a while and then getting something for summer next Spring. I noticed there was an 18" accessory wheel from Land Rover for the 2006-2008 RR, but so far I have not found them at a reasonable price. I don't know if the 18" wheels from 2002-2005 will fit or not....Getting 18" wheels would open up more options for beefy tires for her.

2007 rr uses same specs as an lr3 4 rrs aside from offset on certain wheels. the bolt circle and center bore work fine though. I am pretty sure an lr3 18" will fit a 2007 rr brakes but you could find a friend with an lr3 to test it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I understand the compound differences and temps. I just hate how in this area in the spring it could be subzero one day and 70 the next and then I have to do a quick flip of the winter tires so I don't **** them on the road. I think for now I'm going to see how this winter goes and decide on if I want to maintain yet another set of tires for next winter. I did that with my GTI but that was just an ice skate in the winter without them.

Your scenario is exactly what is right for the WRG3. The wrg2 worked fantastically in the winter on an audi when new and then through rainy shoulder seasons and then summer as it wore down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72