For those that offroad their LR4...a few questions before I pull the trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read about lr4 fitting 18", you either space it extra wide, also grind calipers, or go with aftermarket wheels which will have the least amount of added track.

My recent experience:

'12 LR4
265/65/18s (31.6")
30mm spacers
No caliper grinding
Frame horn shaving (if full lock rubbing is an issue)

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
just a little update....after shoulder surgery and being grounded from this damn virus crap, I finally got the ball rolling on the LR4. I almost bought a disco 2 to play with - mostly because I love this LR4 too much to cut into it but.....:)

BORA spacers were machined last week - should be here shortly. 18" LR3 wheels have been blasted and painted with SteelIT, they are ready to go. Just swapped out all the crappy-azz stock lug nuts with Gorilla nuts - might be the best mod on this thing yet. Ordering a set of Kenda Klever RTs - will likely go with 275/65/18 and finish the requisite trimming. Got the GAP tool for minor height adjustments.

Still on the fence with the PR strut spacers - I do understand the need - depending on tire choice. I saw the way those straps are attached - unless the guy who's rig I saw was on drugs when installed them, I don't see how they wouldn't fail in very short order. The mounting bracket was at like a 70 degree angle to the strap itself. You guys who have installed them...is this right??

I am at 97kmi now and have no idea if the crossovers were ever done so I am adding that to the summer todo list....should be ready to wrench more in the next few weeks. Rotator cuff surgery sure slows a guy down. Guess that is what I get for pretending I am still in my 20's.

Certainly appreciate all the info on this forum. I read a lot but generally post little.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a little update....after shoulder surgery and being grounded from this damn virus crap, I finally got the ball rolling on the LR4. I almost bought a disco 2 to play with - mostly because I love this LR4 too much to cut into it but.....:)

BORA spacers were machined last week - should be here shortly. 18" LR3 wheels have been blasted and painted with SteelIT, they are ready to go. Just swapped out all the crappy-azz stock lug nuts with Gorilla nuts - might be the best mod on this thing yet. Ordering a set of Kenda Klever RTs - will likely go with 275/65/18 and finish the requisite trimming. Got the GAP tool for minor height adjustments.

Still on the fence with the PR strut spacers - I do understand the need - depending on tire choice. I saw the way those straps are attached - unless the guy who's rig I saw was on drugs when installed them, I don't see how they wouldn't fail in very short order. The mounting bracket was at like a 70 degree angle to the strap itself. You guys who have installed them...is this right??

I am at 97kmi now and have no idea if the crossovers were ever done so I am adding that to the summer todo list....should be ready to wrench more in the next few weeks. Rotator cuff surgery sure slows a guy down. Guess that is what I get for pretending I am still in my 20's.

Certainly appreciate all the info on this forum. I read a lot but generally post little.

If you're at 97K miles you probably want to do those cross-overs sooner rather than later. See the other 20 message threads on that issue. :) I did mine at 72K pre-emptively and the peace of mind is worth it. I'll likely do it again at 125K.

Also, for the record, I think you can do a lot in the base vehicle with relatively few modifications. I did an 1800 mile off-road route in my LR4 with just the 18" wheels, BORA spacers (a tiny bit of caliper grind), and a great set of Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires and a compressor and the usual recovery kit and an IIDTool. Good driving skills + good tires + airing up/down as needed + the base LR4 will get you a very long way safely and comfortably.

I think your idea of doing less work and more trips sooner is a good one.

https://www.troyangrignon.com/photo...ones-death-valley-the-mojave-and-joshua-tree/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rkymtnman

Reaction score
Finally got the wheels and tires swapped out last night. Ended up with the Kelver RTs and landed on 265/65/18. I really wanted to go bigger - and probably will - but got a great deal on these 265's so I figured I'd start here. It will be interesting to see how these Kenda's hold up. They are e-rated but I could find almost nothing about them online. Talked to a guy who had them on his Duramax and he thought they were holding up better than his BFGs. My duramax used to chew through those pretty quick so maybe that is a good sign. The BORA spacers are a work of art. Love that they are american made too. Fastened them with some Gorilla lugs - a huge upgrade from the stockers.

Need to add some height with the GAP tool and delete TPMS. Will probably get to that tonight. And just FYI...these tires would have rubbed on the frame horns for sure had I not cut them.

Next on the list is replacing these crossovers as preventative maintenance then I'll start ordering some armor. Should be all ready for Moab season this fall.
Before:
IMG_0709.jpg

After:
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV