Freaking door lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
so today I was putting up fence posts so I had my passenger front door open because I had tools sitting on the seat. I pulled my rig about 50 feet forward and the door shut on its own. I don't think anything of it. I go to get a few things at the store and go to lock the door and the car makes two beeps like a door is open. I checked everything and nothing was open. When I got back in I noticed the passenger door was not locking. I can manually lock it and when I push the interior lock switch you can see it barely move a little bit. When you manually unlock it with the door handle or the actual lock itself, it unlocks the door and the other doors like it should. Could there be something I need to do to reset the door locks or did the car try to lock itself when the door was open and it broke the actuator? It's really annoying because I literally just hit 50,000 miles yesterday. Warranty is gone and this will probably be $450 if I take it to the stealership. I've searched and haven't really seen any story exactly like this so I'm not sure what to do to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call the dealer and explain that you just hit 50k miles. They might flex a little ... it's not like you're trying to rip them off but to break the day after the warranty is crazy.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that point I'd tell them I will fix it myself and then buy my next 6 land rovers at a dealer the next town over. It's probably something stupid like an actuator pin that cost $2 or so. If you can't diagnose yourself, just take it to any local guy, it can't be very complicated.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a door lock mechanism go bad on my 2011. I'm guessing it was at about 60K mark. I recall it was between $400-$500 for my indy to repair it.

But that wasn't as galling as the time I (damn I hate to admit this) caught the edge of my passenger side mirror on the opening of my garage when backing out. Spent the same amount of $$ getting that fixed!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder if I have something wrong with mine or my key sensors. I hit my door handle lock button and it beeps at me twice. If i stand very close, or wait a few more seconds, it locks.

If I take the key out of my pocket it works better. Doesn't matter if the battery is new or not. Annoying.

On my Infiniti I can be half mile away in a freaking bank vault and it still works like it should.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my 2015 LR4. It was the drivers door and they had to replace the mechanism inside the door. I was told the lock wouldn't latch. Lucky it was still under warranty.

Fillage

Reaction score
I don't know the problem, but I always got some issues with the keys to my car. The lock system is sometimes lagging. It won't unlock the car if I'm not looking at it while trying to get in. Sometimes, even if I am looking at it while trying to get in, the key won't let me. These problems make me angry and frustrated, but don't get me started on the price of my car or repairs needed to be done on it. Some of my friends advised me to use https://www.extralocksmithslc.com/range-rover-key-locksmith/. I contacted these guys, and they told me how to get rid of this problem. Experts from there did a great job!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM