front bearing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went for a drive today in the LR4. loud grinding noise up front. passenger wheel feels very loose with play in it. I am going to replace both front bearing assemblies tomorrow.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I don't believe you can replace just the bearings, right? The whole hub needs to be swapped IIRC. Why are you doing both if you are positive the passenger side only is the culprit, peace of mind? On my old 2006 Sport, one side went out at 100K miles, the other lasted about 175K - can't remember which one went first.

Let us know how much of a PITA it is to loosen that nut...

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm replacing both for peace of mind

I have a 2010 with 82k miles on it.

Hub bearing assemblies. I think you can do just the bearings but seems like more work.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest OEM I've found online are around $230/ea. Aftermarket hub assemblies are less than $100. With over 100k miles already on my LR4 (and I am sure running heavy Light Truck tires doesn't help) I get the feeling I might be next, so I've window shopped in anticipation...

Last edited:

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both front bearings went out on my LR4, one side around 50k miles and then they found the other side wheel bearings were bad when they replaced my ruined transfer case(due to its bad bearings) at 65k miles or so. I had bad luck regarding bearings on that vehicle.

Last edited:

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front bearing completed.

took me about 3.5 hours with having to drive to go get the parts and back.

probably about 45min- 1 hour per wheel. pretty simple job. I went ahead and did both front wheels. I got from a euro auto parts place called bap-geon.com.

149.99 per bearing assembly.

picture.php

picture.php

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely done. Any special tools / words of wisdom for other DIYers wanting to tackle this job? The video above helps but doesn't really show the nitty-gritty.

Last edited:

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest a 3lb hammer or bigger for removing the original bearing. I did it just like the video from atlantic british showed. The passenger side was snuggly fitted. The driver side I tapped once and it almost fell out by itself. LR4 drives great. I wonder if this has been my weird shaking issue since I bought this used vehicle with 36k miles on it. I have 82k on it now. 13/16 inch 12 point socket fits the brake caliper bolts.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72