Front diff vibrates at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem has been diagnosed as likely my front diff. I have 158K on the 2005 LR3. When I get it to around 65 mph and let off the gas there is a vibration I will feel and hear. Passengers don't really notice it, but it is very apparent to me.

I apply gas, and the vibration goes away.

It has been getting gradually worse (by gradually, I mean over the last 20,000 miles) with no significant spikes in vibration or noise.

How long would you run on this before getting it replaced? I'm biding my time because I'm in limbo on how long I keep this vs. getting an LR4 or wait for the LR5. It's a pretty expensive repair and it is likely to have some other things that need replacement once they take things apart and get into the job. So I have not been in a rush to get it done. Most of my driving is around town but I always notice it on road trips.

'appreciate your feedback.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the diff (have you checked CV joints for rips in boots/grease leaked out)? Any other noises?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...first the dealer looked at it a while back, came back and said "front diff." No other details...it was the dealer, I have to go through two tiers of idiots to get any direct information from the mechanics. Coincidentally, that's when i stopped using the dealer.

Now I have an independent LR mechanic that I like a good bit. He first said "could be diff, could be the tires." Now he thinks it is the diff. I have not specifically asked him about the CV joints but we've been under the truck together and I didn't see any ripped boots and he always gives it a once over.

I'm not sure if I just live with this until it gets louder like an explosion of the diff is imminent, or if i pre-empt it with a replacement. ?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone drained the oil to look for metal?
Good idea. I assume you mean the front diff. Next service I'll ask to have that checked. May give a better indication of if it's the diff and the severity.
Thanks.

blackbeautylr3

Reaction score
its definitely the differential, I have had the same experience with my truck and the rear diff had to be replace at 56000 miles.

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
I had BOTH front and rear diff's replaced by the dealer on our '06 LR3 in 2012 with only 60K miles on it! I honestly didn't even notice the supposed noise, but while I had it in to repair some other issues pre-sale, they mention they heard some extra noise from the diff's during a test drive. They put it on a dyno rack and drove it while listening with a stethoscope to the diffs and said they were DEFINITELY failing! All this at 60K! Then the bomb dropped (each cost $4,000 to repair... EACH). After leading me on to believe I was going to be paying this, the dealer let on that they pursued LR Corporate about the fact this should not be happening with only 60K miles on the LR3 and got it fully covered (out of warranty mind you)! SO, it got brand new front and rear differentials with no cost to the owner, thankfully.

Based on other air suspension failures we had that we "waited" on repairing until ultimate failure and becoming stranded in access mode, subsequently having to tow it 50 miles to the dealer... I'd recommend not "waiting" for ultimate failure, but to each his own. My lessons with Land Rover products was to fix them as they began, versus "fly to failure."

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$4000 per diff sounds like hogwash. I had both mine done, and the cost wasn't even $4000 for BOTH of them. The failure mode of the differentials is a lot different than the air suspension; not that I'm recommending waiting, but I drove on whiny diffs for a long time. I'm not even sure that it would've resulted in any kind of functional failure; just noise. I've heard it depends on its nature.

As for being stuck in Access Height....was that a full-on compressor failure? Usually you can weasle your way out of Access Height, especially if you have a Faultmate or IIDTool. Unless it's a full-on failed compressor.

aubieron

Reaction score
You can get a completely rebuilt front diff from Lucky8 for only $753.00. Installation should take about four hours if you are mechanically inclined. I would never pay $4K for a diff repair. I plan on changing both of mine myself. I can do both diffs for $2200.00 in a weekend.

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
$4000 per diff sounds like hogwash. I had both mine done, and the cost wasn't even $4000 for BOTH of them. The failure mode of the differentials is a lot different than the air suspension; not that I'm recommending waiting, but I drove on whiny diffs for a long time. I'm not even sure that it would've resulted in any kind of functional failure; just noise. I've heard it depends on its nature.

As for being stuck in Access Height....was that a full-on compressor failure? Usually you can weasle your way out of Access Height, especially if you have a Faultmate or IIDTool. Unless it's a full-on failed compressor.
Houm_WA, the compressor was replaced twice in just over one year. Due to work requirements (travel out of country routinely) I never had the time to spend on learning how to do the mechanical repairs myself, subsequently relegating me to use the dealer. In my area, there is literally only one single independent mechanic that was even willing to service an LR3 and he was so swamped that the waiting period was about 3 weeks for a fix! Anyway, what I was told by the dealer was there were multiple air leaks due to corrosion amongst the fittings for the EAS system... this apparently caused the compressor to eventually burn out due to running overtime. We started getting suspension faults through the info center, but the system was able to be reset by turning off ignition and restarting, then setting the desired EAS mode. We did this for a few months, not considering it could eventually fail to come out of access mode. Didn't understand at the time this was anything more than electronic gremlins as it would reset each time... however it progressively got worse until one day it would no longer raise out of access mode, effectively stranding us in the garage. Given we were not going to drive the freeway for 50+ miles to the nearest dealer in access mode, we had to have it towed. For those who do not have the time or expertise to diagnose and fix problems such as the EAS, or other major mechanical issues that could strand you, I recommend just getting these problems fixed when they present themselves, versus waiting until ultimate failure. That's all. Absolutely, if I had the time and know-how to fix it myself, I would have, but being it was the primary driver for the family, it had to get done ASAP.

Regarding the differentials, as I was saying, there was no apparent problem indicated to us driving it daily. It may have been such an insidious progression that we didn't notice it getting worse, but when the dealer supposedly took it for a test drive, maybe it stood out to them. I agree, I would never had paid $4K for each differential either, but the dealer posed this was the case on the phone and after the story strung along revealing they already replaced them for free with the cost of repair supposedly being covered by LRNA, then it was a moot point. As the conversation was going, I told them to not fix the diffs as they presented no apparent indication of imminent failure and we were selling the vehicle anyway, so I was not going to drop $8K into the vehicle, rather disclose the findings to the new potential owner...but that's when they said it was already done.

Thankfully, the service department took care of me, regardless of whether it being a bogus cost quote or not... either way, new differentials put in for free! Maybe it's all a ploy for the dealer to get paid some sort of labor rate from corporate while not taking the customer for a ride??? But that would seem counter-intuitive to every other dealer experience! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM