Fuel gauge AND suspension fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got wet carpet independent of that water crossing, that points to either a plugged sunroof drain or water getting into the cowl at the bottom of the windshield.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cowl shouldn’t really be an issue. Even if it’s all cracked or just a plain terrible fit after a new wind shield. The intake is raised from the surrounding metal by about 2 inches and there’s a partial cover on the upper half to deflect anything downwards so water doesn’t get in.

Never say never, but it would be extremely difficult with the design. Unless the bow wave went over the hood big style and flooded out the box area where the wiper mechanism and air intake is.

You can see what mean about 5 mins in on the lower left hand side of the glass.

Brendenv

Reaction score
Sunroof drain appears to be in good shape. Cowl was warped a tiny bit. I was hoping after a day or two and some dry weather the problem would fix itself. It didn’t. My OBD reader turned out to be Bluetooth not WiFi so I still can’t read the codes with RSW. Waiting for ANOTHER OBD reader…

Brendenv

Reaction score
Here it is. Ran the RSW software and found out I do
in fact have 2 separate issues. 1st is the fuel level sensor circuit. There’s a TSB for it to replace the connector and splice the wires together at the top of the fuel tank.

2nd is my rear valve block is leaking. Easy rebuild.

Called LR Richmond and asked about fixing the TSB and attempted to have them cover the cost. That didn’t work out for me. However, I was informed that there was a pending recall on the gas tank fuel sending unit seal. Letters will be sent out soon for the recall and since they have to drop the tank to fix the recall, all I have to do is pay the $2 for the splice connectors. Advice received by service writer, “use your odometer and top off often.”

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is. Ran the RSW software and found out I do
in fact have 2 separate issues. 1st is the fuel level sensor circuit. There’s a TSB for it to replace the connector and splice the wires together at the top of the fuel tank.

2nd is my rear valve block is leaking. Easy rebuild.

Called LR Richmond and asked about fixing the TSB and attempted to have them cover the cost. That didn’t work out for me. However, I was informed that there was a pending recall on the gas tank fuel sending unit seal. Letters will be sent out soon for the recall and since they have to drop the tank to fix the recall, all I have to do is pay the $2 for the splice connectors. Advice received by service writer, “use your odometer and top off often.”

Reminds me of driving British cars with Lucas electronics.
Sounds like a result on the recall for you. I’ll wait with bated breath to see if my letter comes through the mail.

Brendenv

Reaction score
When he said “pending recall,” my first thought was: I’m sure it’s been “pending” for years…

Brendenv

Reaction score
Solved the issue. A few weeks ago we had heavy rain. Sunroof clogged=flooded floorboard. Lights galore. Thought it was flood damage causing the lights so I took it to a shop and filed an insurance claim hoping to total then buy another LR4. Diagnosis says water didn’t cause the lights, a wheel speed sensor was causing it. All of this and the fuel tank level is still not working. Anyway, because they wanted $100+ for a $25 Bosch speed sensor, I decided to fix it myself. When I went to unplug the old sensor, the entire connector broke off of the harness. Look at the harness and there are FIVE OTHER BROKEN WIRES.

Removed the spare, got my soldering gun, then got to work. Couple hours later after they all got soldered back up, no lights, no codes, air suspension raised as normal, and my fuel level is registering on the cluster.

I’m back baby.
B5ECF4BA-F615-4922-9994-CAC1271F6668.jpeg
63545532-864E-42A2-B067-7FEDC5E05616.jpeg
81804722-4E92-485A-B2DA-6149140BFD84.jpeg
72EFC2F4-8615-4B9B-BF9E-080DA840AD68.jpeg

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads