Fuel tank removal/replacement "Gotcha"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had a sensor problem so took out the tank and repaired a broken wire. Replaced the tank and connected everything up. Checked connection at least three times. Filled with fuel and good to go. Ran for a couple of day (maybe 150 k's all up) and I smelt fuel. A look under the car and the fuel pump dumped a third of a tank on the road. Needless to say it was put up on a tow truck and taken home.
At home, I jacked it up and checked out where the fuel was coming from as no connectors seemed to have come adrift. The only way to see it was to run the pump (ign on and turn over the engine), then I saw it. It was the white connector at the front end of the tank had just popped from its holder. Now I pushed it back together and checked no leak so up to the shed and put on the hoist. Once up in the air the connector looked good but a bit of a tug and it came loose again. So I pushed it back home and put a small "jubilee" clip around the body of the connector so that the small prongs inside the connector could not pop over the raised piece on the pipe.
A check with LR people indicated that this connector is really a "one time" connector and the connector and associated pipe should be replaced when removing a tank. Hopefully my jubilee clip fix will give me many miles without coming loose again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72