GAP IID Tool capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've read the posts saying how useful the IDD tool can be for fault codes, resetting battery monitor, DIY servicing etc and I think that might be reason enough to buy one! (I'm perfectly happy with the ride height as it currently is)

What I don't know is if the tool could be useful for updating any systems the car might have. How do I find out if there are firmware updates available for my particular car? Getting the diagnostics on the ICE screen I see

Overall Software Version 3366_120109

But I have no idea if updates are available. And if they are, are they at extra cost?

Also:

- the mapping system does not look like the one in the manual (does not display on the display between the dials) and always asks me if I want to update. It works ok... they don't often build new roads out here so it is not like I need an update, but not having to dismiss the message every time would be nice

- The rear seat entertainment does not appear to know about the iPod input, MP3 player or AUX input (I don't know if having the IR remote would make these two things magically work, but I doubt it!). I see things like

USB Player RSE marked as Application State "Shutdown" with Resource status as "Available"

What I suspect is that, as the car (2012 V8 HSE) is a Japanese import to NZ, the ICE software might not be original and therefore if I try to do anything to it I risk bricking it!

Thoughts?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the ICE software, but the GAP tool does allow you to update software. I don't think there is a way to check without the GAP tool.

Within the app interface it shows whether or not software is up-to-date--it will say update available. If you elect to update, you pay a fee through GAP's partner to get the update file.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The IIDTool is capable of modifying the ccf (car config files) that contain features for the truck. It will allow you to retrofit parts from a newer truck like headlamps, etc...

As far as updating maps, the only known way is through the navi dvds.

Ecu updates are ONLY available through an additional purchase and are highly discouraged from being updated by gap. Gap requires a reason for ecu updates during purchasing the update so you don't accidentally cause issues with the hardware that has software dependencies with other ecus. Gap recommends leaving ecu updates as it came out of factory. However, there are unlocked updates that you can do yourself and are less likely to f up on your own, like instrument, compressor, etc...

Useful IIDTool items for me was turning off tpms, battery reset, calibrate suspension (don't calibrate unless you have to), suspension height, live values, and read/clear codes.

Reaction score
The IIDTool is capable of modifying the ccf (car config files) that contain features for the truck. [Snip]
Thanks for this reply - very helpful.

In my case I think the car should have auto dipping headlights and voice control but neither are active. Minor things and everything else I think it fine - apart from the infotainment system, where the rear seat system can get the CD player and radio, but not aux, stored cds or usb... which I find odd, since these work for the main system. Maybe this is how it is meant to be? Or does the message I see on the diagnostic screen I quoted above suggest that these should work but are disabled? Maybe someone with RSE of that age can confirm.

Also: garage did a battery reset but yesterday I had the ICE shutdown after a few mins with low battery warning. Yet battery is new. Anything else to check?

F.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the car should have auto dipping headlights and voice control but neither are active.
In the North American market at least, I think they

scrapped the voice control before it went into production. I heard they just could not get it to work well. By auto dipping headlights - I assume you mean the automatic high beams? Mine work well - I think it’s an option in the car configuration menus.

Or does the message I see on the diagnostic screen I quoted above suggest that these should work but are disabled?

Not sure what codes you have, but some diagnositic codes will shut down a circuit until it’s cleared (and the problem that triggered the code rectified). So, usually you want to clear the code and see if that corrects the problem, or if the code just comes back.

Also: garage did a battery reset but yesterday I had the ICE shutdown after a few mins with low battery warning. Yet battery is new. Anything else to check?

I assume you checked your alternator? These cars will drain the battery down right quick if you’re alternator is weak. Also, not sure how long you had your diagnostics running without the engine on, but this can create additional battery drain depending on what you’re doing.

Reaction score
Thanks Jlglr4

In the North American market at least, I think they
scrapped the voice control before it went into production. I heard they just could not get it to work well. By auto dipping headlights - I assume you mean the automatic high beams? Mine work well - I think it’s an option in the car configuration menus.

Nothing in my config menus :-( My VIN Decode says "Light Sensing Headlights - Automatic Low Light Sensing Headlights [064CY]" amongst all the other options - the original buyer ticked most things :) But clearly some reprogramming has taken place when the car moved from Japan to NZ (eg the satnav system) and maybe some things got switched off.

Not sure what codes you have, but some diagnositic codes will shut down a circuit until it’s cleared (and the problem that triggered the code rectified). So, usually you want to clear the code and see if that corrects the problem, or if the code just comes back.

I guess I should buy the GAP tool and see.

I assume you checked your alternator? These cars will drain the battery down right quick if you’re alternator is weak. Also, not sure how long you had your diagnostics running without the engine on, but this can create additional battery drain depending on what you’re doing.

I think the alternator is healthy and charging fine - certainly no problems driving around with all the heated seats on etc, and plenty of volts in the battery. I'm sure if the alternator was weak I'd have noticed it by now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA