Gasket leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the symtoms of a head gasket leak?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, head gasket issues will cause overheating, loss of power, it can also cause loss of coolant or oil.

Easy way to check is perform a compression test.

Deadhead86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, I know youre busy with all the forums and its easy to over look. Thank you for the info. You save me alot of running around.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, head gasket issues will cause overheating, loss of power, it can also cause loss of coolant or oil.

Easy way to check is perform a compression test.

Hey Joey;

On a somewhat related issue (i.e., the comp test) - do you have a reccomended approach to doing this? I have done what the manual says but I seem to get almost inordinately high pressures - given the age of my engine; so, I was wondering if there was a better method or if, maybe, carbon, has really taken a hold in my engine - thus elevating the compression numbers? I am pretty certain that I am shipping a lot of carbon (regardless of Sea Foam treatment)

If I recall properly - you disconnect the main/only coupler coming from the ECU to the coil-paks and then go from there. Also, I let the engine turn over until I get the highest possible reading on the dial of my comp gauge.

Any helpful advice on this process would be appreciated.

Wolf

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
My suggested way of doing a compression test is to disconnect the Coil packs as you state, also disable/disconnect the fuel injectors.

Make sure the battery is strong before starting any of this!

Remove all 8 spark plugs

Attach the compression tester to cylinder that you intend to start with, I normally start with the front drivers side.

Crank the engine for at least 10 seconds. Write down the numbers and move on to the next cylinder... continue till your done.

If the number are too low, then check to see:

IS IT THE RINGS OR THE VALVES?

If compression is low in one or more cylinders, you can isolate the problem to the valves or rings by squirting a little 30 weight motor oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeating the compression test. The oil temporarily seals the rings.

If the compression readings are higher the second time around, it means the rings and/or cylinder is worn. No change in the compression readings would tell you the cylinder has a bad valve.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggested way of doing a compression test is to disconnect the Coil packs as you state, also disable/disconnect the fuel injectors.

Make sure the battery is strong before starting any of this!

Remove all 8 spark plugs

Attach the compression tester to cylinder that you intend to start with, I normally start with the front drivers side.

Crank the engine for at least 10 seconds. Write down the numbers and move on to the next cylinder... continue till your done.

If the number are too low, then check to see:

IS IT THE RINGS OR THE VALVES?

If compression is low in one or more cylinders, you can isolate the problem to the valves or rings by squirting a little 30 weight motor oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeating the compression test. The oil temporarily seals the rings.

If the compression readings are higher the second time around, it means the rings and/or cylinder is worn. No change in the compression readings would tell you the cylinder has a bad valve.

Hey Joey,

Mucho gracias.

I don't burn an ounce of oil and no coolant in oil or vice versa but I am suspicious of a carbon build-up (as this machine has spent most its life on an island with darned little freeway travel).

Wolf

SCdisco

Reaction score
Water and oil from exhaust and backfiring

I've had two replced.

strtofdrms

Reaction score
Head Gasket

I had my gaskets replaced to the tune of $2500 last year. The big tip to me (and I could be wrong) was a SHWOOSHING sound when I drove that sounded like it came from the dashboard. I thought it was low fluids or something, but I was told that noise meant the gaskets were shot and if I didn't fix it quick, the car would be toast. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635