gear shifter clicking when let off brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rubicon

Reaction score
Just bought an 04 disco se7 with 26k miles. Wife said she was driving and noticed the shifter was in 3rd instead of drive.(women.....) she shifted it into drive and went on.

Now, in any gear, when we let off the brake, it clicks and you can see the shifter move a little each time.

what is that????

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is loose in the shifter, but not sure what it would be.... If it were me I would take the center console apart and look, of course if you are still under warrenty, take it to the dealer.

rubicon

Reaction score
we are taking it thursday. just can't figure out what it would be. every time you let off the brake pedal, the gear shifter clicks. and you can see it wiggle a little. kinda wierd.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I do know the brake pedal has the shifter release fuction, which electronically unlocks the shifter, but I have never seen or noticed mine moving....

R

roverlover

RE: gear shifter clicking when remove foot form brake

There is a solinoid (an electical operated mechanical device) that prohibits the operator from taking the shifter out of "park" without your foot being on the brake. This is a good thing to know because if the fuse for the brake light becomes blown, you will not be able to move the shift lever out of "park"
You would be stuck right where you are. By popping the cover from the shifter, you can, with your finger or small screwdriver, operate this "plunger" manually and get moving again. A spare brake fuse is the most important spare fuse to have on hand for this reason.

My position on your wifes worries is "if the lever operates, no problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9