Going Nekkid. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah, made you look. But, I've had my 2005 LR for 7 years now and my warranty is finally about to expire. Today is the last day to extend for two years. It's $4,700! Nope, not going to do it. I'm just going to free-ball it and hope for the best. I am taking it in next week for one last round of warranty repair work and hopefully my control arm bushings are shot once again.

Anyway, I feel liberated, I guess. Flying without a net. I definitely got the $2,500 out of the extended warranty. Here's to hoping I don't regret keeping $4,700 that I don't have in my credit account.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
Woooohoooo Welcome to the ***** Club!!!! In the last 12 months i've dropped over $5K into my Rig. God I love my Rover. Sometimes I wish I didn't but, what the hell its only money. I sure as hell hope you get something out of that last warranty service. Rock on and enjoy the freedom---let em' get some air!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure your Diffs are good!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Been there myself since July 2009! Kinda wish I had the extended warranty now but last year was really the only one that has cost me the rest has been cheap..

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to haggle the price down a bit, but they wouldn't do it. I'm putting a lot of faith in that last service. Will check the diffs.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't just check, change the fluids, check for water. My annual repair costs have been under the cost of extended warranty so far. I've been using an indy for work I can't do, and ordering parts online, all in all, very much better off. I spend more time planning preventative stuff, like belt and pulley changes, brake light switches, and so on.

There is always a chance for a major failure, but prevention is the key hopefully.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the nekked club. my 05 has been good to me so far. After 6.5 years it has been a very good vehicle overall. Haven't even needed bushings so far. Knock on wood!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I think I've had mine changed twice already. Odd.

Anyway, it's at the dealership right now getting the once over. I discussed a few things with the service rep there who knows me too well. I think he'll get all the major stuff covered if he can.

Regarding the diffs: he did say that's an issue mainly associated with the 07-08 models for some odd reason. He hasn't seen that issue in many 05-06 models. Maybe they had a supplier switch. Who knows.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding diffs, no supplier change. I wouldn't believe it, having seen hundreds of them. I would suggest regular maintenance, which means changing the fluids every 20k miles or so. The alternative is certain otherwise.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah, made you look. But, I've had my 2005 LR for 7 years now and my warranty is finally about to expire. Today is the last day to extend for two years. It's $4,700! Nope, not going to do it. I'm just going to free-ball it and hope for the best. I am taking it in next week for one last round of warranty repair work and hopefully my control arm bushings are shot once again.

Anyway, I feel liberated, I guess. Flying without a net. I definitely got the $2,500 out of the extended warranty. Here's to hoping I don't regret keeping $4,700 that I don't have in my credit account.

Only 2 more years?

I bought the highest coverage possible from Tacoma Land Rover but bought it right before hitting 50k. It was $4500 / 0 deductible, platinum, etc.

Oops, you mean on top of 7. Well, I'll end up with 8 years (4 factory+4 ext), 100,000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635