HD Pack - after sale installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want HD pack the easiest and cheapest way ( both short and long-term) would be to trade your LR4 in and get the the one you want. I think someone tried to retrofit just a rear locker on 2010- 2013 models and it was a difficult job.
All V8 LR4s ( 2010-2013) do well even without a rear locker. Low range and traction control do the magic. Unfortunatelly 2014+ cars without HD package are useless once there is no "pavement".

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want HD pack the easiest and cheapest way ( both short and long-term) would be to trade your LR4 in and get the the one you want. I think someone tried to retrofit just a rear locker on 2010- 2013 models and it was a difficult job.
All V8 LR4s ( 2010-2013) do well even without a rear locker. Low range and traction control do the magic. Unfortunatelly 2014+ cars without HD package are useless once there is no "pavement".
I can vouch for this.
Was at an event this summer where LR offered a few loaners. 2016 LR4 without HD package, and a V8/V6 SC motor (Odd story where the two extra cylinder were "empty" so the V8 was technically V6...) anyway. These vehicle did not have low range. they were constantly getting stuck. I cannot imagine a world where this makes any sense... I guess for soccer moms with no intention of going off pavement, but what about snow, or a dirt road heading to camp... just useless!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it would be "useless" if it had... 2WD :eek:, but with full time 4WD, EAS, a locking center diff and terrific traction control subsystems, it is still way better than a lot of poser utes on dirt roads and in winter conditions - with proper tires, of course. I have run plenty of local mountain trails with my LR4, without ever needing to engage 4LO.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feeling bad for the OP if he really wants/needs the HD package! But you all are being honest. This is a non-starter. If there are no 2016s left with HD then it comes down to getting a used model, an older model (in which case you give up some things like adaptive cruise and some of the vision assist stuff but get a stronger engine.) The value of the HD package depends heavily on how the vehicle will be used as we all know. I expect many get by fine without out - because they have sold a tone of that configuration here in Colorado. And as Umberto points out, it is still a far more capable vehicle than just about every SUV out there. But those of us who do go off road - even light offroad if you have steep ascents and descents or need that finer control that low range gives you - understand the value. Heck, I even used low range to pull my trailer out of a very steep RV park.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm singing those blues, too. I bought a beautiful santorini black, black interior, 20" wheel 2016 LR4 without the HD. I hadn't realized it wasn't part of the package. Fell in love with that beautiful machine so now I am annoyed every time I use it. I want to take it on old logging roads for upland bird shooting so now will have to be more careful and worry about getting back.

Just bought it about a month ago and there aren't any other ones with HD on the market anymore.

Oh well.

Frank

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm singing those blues, too. I bought a beautiful santorini black, black interior, 20" wheel 2016 LR4 without the HD. I hadn't realized it wasn't part of the package. Fell in love with that beautiful machine so now I am annoyed every time I use it. I want to take it on old logging roads for upland bird shooting so now will have to be more careful and worry about getting back.

Just bought it about a month ago and there aren't any other ones with HD on the market anymore.

Oh well.

Frank

How intense are these logging roads? Do you need a spotter? Do other vehicles often get left for dead on this trail? I think the being annoyed and worried can be overlooked if you become more confident with both the trail and your skill level. Buy yourself a set of maxtrax, put a full size spare in the back and test out the capability in different terrain that's close to you. You'd be surprised how capable a single speed LR4 can be...seriously...but you won't know until you really put it to the test. I've seen AWD Subaru Forresters tackle difficult terrain with a skilled wheeler behind the helm. It shocks me when I see lesser vehicles tackle trails that are clearly made for vehicles that I consider to be top tier off roaders. Though equipment such as low gear and lockers may assist, or sometimes are needed, I truly believe based on the crazy **** I've seen visiting parts of Georgia and the stuff out there on YouTube that practice makes perfect and experience far outweighs equipment (in most cases...sometimes that low gear is crucial.) But....that's just my BS opinion on what I've witnessed so take it for what it is, lol.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh well.

Frank

Also, I have family in Killington and Tunbridge Vermont...BEAUTIFUL Place! I love hiking the AT and long trail. Best of luck

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh well.

Frank
Oh, totally forgot one thing. Tires, just to clarify, all those "lesser vehicles" I spoke of, well they all had upgraded wheels/tires....so yeah, that I believe is necessary regardless.

Jerbo

Reaction score
I have a MY16 no HD, I also had a LR3 with no HD. While i am not running supper aggressive trails, tend to avoid the mud pits, and use caution in deep snow i have never once needed it. I am not saying that there is not a time or a place, however for most logging roads, or things that you are going to see with out looking for trouble the LR4 is more than capable. Buy a full size spare, get decent tires, use your head.

As a side note, i found this video (
) which for the most part appeased my non-hd concerns. Should we all have it yes, do most of us need it no.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a MY16 no HD, I also had a LR3 with no HD. While i am not running supper aggressive trails, tend to avoid the mud pits, and use caution in deep snow i have never once needed it. I am not saying that there is not a time or a place, however for most logging roads, or things that you are going to see with out looking for trouble the LR4 is more than capable. Buy a full size spare, get decent tires, use your head.

As a side note, i found this video (
) which for the most part appeased my non-hd concerns. Should we all have it yes, do most of us need it no.

Your LR3 with no HD is a much different vehicle than your 2016 with no HD.

No HD in an LR3 just means no rear locker. You still have a low range, two-seed transfer case, however, as well as the LR traction control.

Your 2016 without HD means it has neither a rear locker nor a two-speed transfer case.

Those differences are crucial.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM