headlight washers fading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered before: the housing of my headlight washers is fading. They resemble a light gray significantly different than the bumper color. Vehicle has been garage stored since day 1. Still under warranty but I don't know if its something they would fix. Anybody have an idea on how to get them back to normal? I've heard of Back to Black, and Aerospace 303 Protectant. Any suggestions? Thanks.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear an answer as well. You will find more info if you search the forum as this has been discussed before.

303 will help to reduce further UV damage, but will not bring back any color lost by current sun damage. While you're at it, use some 303 on all of your rubber door gaskets to keep them alive longer.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Back to Black. It worked perfectly, now the washer matches the bumper again.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. Is back to black a treatment or a temporary fix? Is it something you have to apply numerous times or does it actually change the color permanently? Thanks!

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to Black is a liquid that I poured on the washers and wiped off the excess. I'm not sure on the durability, but I used it 3 months ago and washers still match the bumper.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. I'll have to give 'back to black' a go. I have the same fading as well on mine.

AdvRide

Reaction score
Within the first year of ownership the dealer replaced one headlight washer housing under warranty that had faded to a light gray. The other one took about 3 years to fade so I asked that it be replaced as they did the first. Denied because they said it was considered a wear item. Load of BS!

I will give the back to black a try as well.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced within the last 6 months due to fade. It was done under warranty and they were replaced not with black (as was original), but with the matching color of the bumper ends and fender flares. So far so good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99