Headlights with factory HID, LED and Adaptive beam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 LR4 HSE without HIDs, so I called the dealer to inquiry about xenons. They said that the lights/lens, harness and computer upgrades and installation would run around $4,000-5,000 for OEM parts. Not sure I can spring for this.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still just amazed that the HSE does not come with HID lights. Just blows my mind. After having them on my Infiniti I couldn't go back, so I went with HSE Lux, but that is just nuts.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still just amazed that the HSE does not come with HID lights. Just blows my mind. After having them on my Infiniti I couldn't go back, so I went with HSE Lux, but that is just nuts.
I agree. I have a 2011 HSE and it did not come with the HID lights, so I put in an aftermarket kit and it works awesome; however, I would much prefer to have them stock. In order to get HIDs on an HSE, you have to opt for the Vision Assist option. For my next LR4, I am going to make sure HIDs are part of the package.

-David

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your comments on HIDs not being standard.

You wouldn't happen to remmeber the kit you used? Was it for both low and high beams?

Any concerns about this after-market modification voiding the LR Warranty on your vehicle?

Thanks!

I agree. I have a 2011 HSE and it did not come with the HID lights, so I put in an aftermarket kit and it works awesome; however, I would much prefer to have them stock. In order to get HIDs on an HSE, you have to opt for the Vision Assist option. For my next LR4, I am going to make sure HIDs are part of the package.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with your comments on HIDs not being standard.

You wouldn't happen to remmeber the kit you used? Was it for both low and high beams?

Any concerns about this after-market modification voiding the LR Warranty on your vehicle?

Thanks!
Hey sparrky,

Yes, I definitely remember the kit and I will tell you that there is a very detailed posting about this topic. You certainly might open up a can of worms with this topic, as we pretty much beat it to death last year - haha! :)

Overall, these HID kits are widely used and safe in many cars, but they are not technically sanctioned. I did have concerns about the modification voiding the LR warranty of my LR4, but it all depends on the problem. I have had my kit installed for a year and it's fine - no problems at all. There are MANY folks on this forum who installed them in their LR4 with no problems at all - they look very similar to the OEM ones if you get the right ones. The concern about cut-off, etc. is minimal since the housing provides a good cut-off and not too bright for the person in front of you or oncoming traffic. As far as getting pulled over, these look like OEM and I have never had a problem. I think the issue is when you go with some crazy brightness or blue/purple color, then it attracts attention.

As far as LR warranty, technically yes, if you had an electrical issue because of these lights you would likely have a problem. But, these kits are plug and play and can be installed in minutes - so you just take them out if you ever had an issue with the lights, etc. Like I said, I know lots of people who have them installed and it's fine. I was worried when bringing my car for service, etc., but they don't care and didn't say anything. In fact I talked to my service manager and told him and he said oh we don't care. If there was a problem that seemed from it, they would say remove them and put back in the OEM ones and come back.

With all that said, it's up to you. You will hear lots of people say it's fine, others will say don't do it, but I don't think you will have an issue as long as you know to remove them if something does go wrong. I ONLY did my low beams - NOT my high beams. In fact you do not want to do your high beams - HID lights don't do well being turned on and off because the gas needs to heat up. Some people did their fog lights, but I just used the Philips CV for high beams and fogs.

The kit a lot of us bought is through DDM:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Get the 35W, H11 (low beam), 6,000K

Take a look at this thread, you will see LOTS of information:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21689

I hope that helps!

-David

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sparrky, I second what David said above. I've had my DDM Tuning Kit installed for about 14 months, and have had zero issues with it. I think I bought the 5000k bulbs, though, as I was going for the whiter light, but I still see some blue in them. Installation was not too difficult (see prior posts on here for detailed instructions), and the difference from the Philips Crystal Visions (which I first tried before going with the HID upgrade) is tremendous. I was just up in the mountains this weekend driving through heavy fog at night, and these lights (along with the Philips CVs in the fog lights) did a great job.

I've also been very concerned about blinding other drivers (I am frequently blinded by other cars with HID kits), and have frequently tested the lights by driving in another car both in front of and in opposite directions of my LR4, and do not see any difference between these lights in the OEM housing and other OEM HIDs from either Land Rover or other manufacturers. It seems, although I'm not sure anyone has confirmed, that the cutoff is the same for the OEM halogens as they are for the OEM HIDs, which is possibly why the OEM halogens work so awful (they are not even safe, IMO).

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sparrky, I second what David said above. I've had my DDM Tuning Kit installed for about 14 months, and have had zero issues with it. I think I bought the 5000k bulbs, though, as I was going for the whiter light, but I still see some blue in them. Installation was not too difficult (see prior posts on here for detailed instructions), and the difference from the Philips Crystal Visions (which I first tried before going with the HID upgrade) is tremendous. I was just up in the mountains this weekend driving through heavy fog at night, and these lights (along with the Philips CVs in the fog lights) did a great job.

I've also been very concerned about blinding other drivers (I am frequently blinded by other cars with HID kits), and have frequently tested the lights by driving in another car both in front of and in opposite directions of my LR4, and do not see any difference between these lights in the OEM housing and other OEM HIDs from either Land Rover or other manufacturers. It seems, although I'm not sure anyone has confirmed, that the cutoff is the same for the OEM halogens as they are for the OEM HIDs, which is possibly why the OEM halogens work so awful (they are not even safe, IMO).
I actually agree with goblue95... I'd opt for the 5000K, as I think a slightly whiter light would be perfect. I had forgotten that you installed the 5000Ks....

The 6000K is a bit more blue, which looks cool, but I think the 5000K seem the closest to the OEM.

sirgrotius

Reaction score
I know the luxury package includes Xenons, which I like a lot. They're super bright. I can barely imagine anything better, but the Adaptive Xenons sound great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink