Headlights with factory HID, LED and Adaptive beam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the luxury package includes Xenons, which I like a lot. They're super bright. I can barely imagine anything better, but the Adaptive Xenons sound great.

I have the adaptive HIDs in my current LR4. To be quite honest, I'm a little disappointed with the small mount of movement (side to side when turning) they have. I have had previous vehicles with adaptive headlights which were much more "adaptive" than the ones in the LR4.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My X5 adaptive lights really "turn" the coners with the steering wheel movements.

I have the adaptive HIDs in my current LR4. To be quite honest, I'm a little disappointed with the small mount of movement (side to side when turning) they have. I have had previous vehicles with adaptive headlights which were much more "adaptive" than the ones in the LR4.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the after-market kits, is anyone concern that the ballast might get wet from road spray or water splashing up in the engine compartment? Or is the ballast waterproof?

Thanks!

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the after-market HID ballast is water proof? What if the engine compartment splashes up water?

Am I just worrying too much?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the after-market HID ballast is water proof? What if the engine compartment splashes up water?

Am I just worrying too much?

the ballasts are usually waterproof! the bulbs are not. so make sure the hole made in the back of the rubber cover (in the light assembly) is sealed very well. you can use silicone or phenoseal for that.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ballasts are usually waterproof! the bulbs are not. so make sure the hole made in the back of the rubber cover (in the light assembly) is sealed very well. you can use silicone or phenoseal for that.
I have had the lights installed for a year and a half and the ballasts are waterproof. I have driven in some heavy rain and had them coated in mud and they work fine. As baobay stated, you want to keep the bulbs dry, so that's why it is important you seal the hole in the rubber cover. I actually did not want to make a hole in my rubber cover, so I bought two new rubber light housing covers and drilled holes in those so I could keep my stock covers in tact (just in case I wanted/needed to switch back to halogen).

I used some silicone and then sealed it really well with tough waterproof-electrical tape and it has worked awesome.

I believe I posted some part numbers (for the light covers) and pictures on that other thread.

Regards, David

Wusty

Reaction score
I had mine sealed with silicone as well. My ballasts sit 38 inches off the ground as well....I've yet to venture this deep :)

Quilty

Reaction score
The manual states that for my 2013 LR4, the low beam and the high beam bulbs are H7 and the fog lights are H11. I have an HSE with the standard (terrible) halogen bulbs. Many of the posts on this issue state that the low beam bulb is actually an H11, contrary to what the manual says. Can anyone confirm that the manual is wrong so I don't have to take the bulb out to check?

Thanks.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual states that for my 2013 LR4, the low beam and the high beam bulbs are H7 and the fog lights are H11. I have an HSE with the standard (terrible) halogen bulbs. Many of the posts on this issue state that the low beam bulb is actually an H11, contrary to what the manual says. Can anyone confirm that the manual is wrong so I don't have to take the bulb out to check?

Thanks.

The manual is wrong. It's H11.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink