Heavy coolant leak / failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
I have 165K miles on the 5.0 and have the apparent (waiting on call from mechanic) front cross over pipe leak. If I do it seems from reading this thread the smart money would be to also replace my water pump and and oil cooler tube as well - agreed? Thanks for all the great info guys -

backroadnomad

Reaction score
I have 165K miles on the 5.0 and have the apparent (waiting on call from mechanic) front cross over pipe leak. If I do it seems from reading this thread the smart money would be to also replace my water pump and and oil cooler tube as well - agreed? Thanks for all the great info guys -
Did you end up getting it done? If you had someone do the front pipe, I’m curious how much that would cost. I just don’t have the time or motivation anymore to tackle it myself.

wthammett

Reaction score
Yes Backroadnomad, sorry I didn’t update earlier. Local Indy quoted me $800 for about 7 hours labor, the new intake manifold gasket and the new crossover pipe (this part is about $80 iirc) so all in all not too bad. I ended up replacing the other plastic pipes in the valley and also replaced the water pump and thermostat so I added some cost but feel better about everything as well. Good luck -

backroadnomad

Reaction score
Yes Backroadnomad, sorry I didn’t update earlier. Local Indy quoted me $800 for about 7 hours labor, the new intake manifold gasket and the new crossover pipe (this part is about $80 iirc) so all in all not too bad. I ended up replacing the other plastic pipes in the valley and also replaced the water pump and thermostat so I added some cost but feel better about everything as well. Good luck -
Thanks. Good to know.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 34K miles into my 2015. Being a daily reader of this forum, I've seen plenty of threads pertaining to cross over pipe failures. My understanding is that the MY 14 and newer use the AJ126 block while the later models, MY 13 and older use the AJ133 block. Although the AJ126 block is a V6, the overall design, is built around the AJ133, has me wondering if they share any parts, mainly the cross over pipes.

I found a picture of the mysterious "deleted 2 cylinders" of the AJ126.

fullsizerender_9023ad980e0b6f852e035af15622bf000728034a.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool photo. So they kept the block size the same. Crazy how they went through all of that in the quest of 1 mpg and less power. The V8 would have been great behind the 8 speed.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine a German auto maker like Audi doing something silly like that. I met an Audi engineer that was lead on the 2007 Q7 when it first came out. He said that they were given a VW Touareg to start with and the Audi engineers proceeded to change everything except the base unibody when developing the Q7.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I just replaced my front crossover and after buttoning everything up, am getting two fault codes and rough running. P0122 and P2135. Replaced the crossover out of caution/mileage, no apparent leak though had some low coolant warnings a few months ago. But for the life of me, can't figure out why I'm getting the rough running and errors. Any suggestions? Battery reset? Is their a learning process when the throttle position sensor is unplugged?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAS, I assume that you pulled the Throttle Body to get in there.. You might want to pull the wire connector to the TB back off, check for debris/corrosion, and re-seat the connector.. I don't recall a learning process that would cause bad performance for the TB positions, but I could be wrong..

Give it a shot and report back..

Mike

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAS, I assume that you pulled the Throttle Body to get in there.. You might want to pull the wire connector to the TB back off, check for debris/corrosion, and re-seat the connector.. I don't recall a learning process that would cause bad performance for the TB positions, but I could be wrong..

Give it a shot and report back..

Mike
Thanks, yes had to pull it to get everything disassembled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72