HELP! Should I be paying a RAG fee?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, great...now in addition to exorbitant doc fees( that I've seen as high as $795.00) they are trying to add RAG...wouldn't pay out of principle

gmag24

Reaction score
And just to clarify guys, this is there way of masking the Regional Advertising fee, correct? I know they can label it whatever they want, but based on what I found, the exact Acronym is Regional Advertising Group. The funny part, and ill use this as my trump card when all is said and done, another dealer who became kind of a consultant to me, even though he couldn't place a car with me, called out the fee as definitely legitimate, but certainly not something I should pay for.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter what "fees" they charge? Total price of truck = total price of truck. Is it too high or too low? Don't pay more than you're comfortable with. If they want to call a piece of the price a RAG fee or a TOWEL fee, let them.

Without trying to attack anyone, I do agree with this comment. To me, it did not matter what dealership I negotiated with because they all had some fee stuffed into the price of the vehicle that guaranteed some sort of profit back to their dealership.

So what I am saying is, you're going to pay the dealer one way or another to hit their bottom line, whether it be in the form of RAG, differing document fees than another dealership, etc. My strategy was to make sure when I was negotiating that it was the out-the-door price that went down thus ensuring the dealership was not playing a zero sum game with me. I gave them a spreadsheet table with a break down of every itemized cost. Then when they started to move on numbers, I would present the table back to them with the numbers by item that they moved on so that they could not mess around with what they quoted as we went through several rounds. If they did, I would walk.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is today the day? Let us know how it goes...You'll will make my day if you find a way to stick it to the man! :)

gmag24

Reaction score
German,

Forgot to get back to you. Tomorrow is the day. Looking forward to it, but also a bit nervous with my last minute maneuver of short changing the cashier's check by the RAG fee. Lets see what happens. Worst case, I'll cut them a personal check and insist on meeting them half way ($200). I will literally ask them though to line item it as a "Garbage Fee" as a sort of F U. Doubt they'll do it as in sure they're accountants won't be happy. I'm sure they'd much rather order the business deduction of the "RAG" fee. Deal will hopefully close tomorrow night. I will keep you all posted. Wish me luck. I'm gonna grab my b's and make my demands.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will literally ask them though to line item it as a "Garbage Fee" as a sort of F U . . . I'm gonna grab my b's and make my demands.

There's probably a better approach.

gmag24

Reaction score
GoLoaf,

What's your suggestion? I'm all ears....I'll take any feedback. Thanks

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're getting a great deal as it stands, just go buy the truck and try to enjoy yourself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99