HELP - Suspension Fault - New Compressor - Sliders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2008 LR3 HSE, just for reference. Recently needed to replace the suspension compressor. Apparently LR has learned that the compressor used on the LR3's is weak, and they've had a lot of fails. So the LR4's have a larger more powerful compressor.

Here's the problem. I have the RS Sliders, which already required me to removed the sound cover from the compressor to install the sliders. It was a little bit of noise, but nothing too bad. Here's a picture:
IMG_1906.jpg

However, the new compressor is CRAZY LOUD! :****: Every time I start the engine, and it goes through its normal top off, I feel like I'm inside the compressor itself. The seats shake. It's that bad.

Anyone else have this experience? Any ideas on how to fix it? The shop says that the larger compressor barely fits in there now, and is slightly touching the sliders, which is why the vibrations are so much more noticable. They don't have any good ideas, other than removing the sliders.

I'd really appreciate any serious thoughts or ideas. Thanks.
:driver:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm encouraged that the sliders even fit without cutting!

Check with Eric at Tactical Rovers (now Tactical 4x4, I believe) and buy a new bracket. They have produced one which re-locates the compressor a bit further forward and also higher on the frame rail. It is a thinner, steel bracket than the one the new AMK compressor comes attached to. I have one in my possession. I don't have the new compressor yet, but when I need it...I'll be ready!

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be vibration you're feeling - I had my old Hitachi compressor swapped out for the new AMK and noticed no difference inside. Apart from the fact that the dash no longer had annoying suspension alert ;-)

The new compressor isn't surrounded by as much foam padding as the motor is on better rubber/spring mounts and I think they may have made the casing larger to allow better air circulation to avoid over heating problems which might shorten the life (as I suspect happened with my failed Hitachi).

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@stmcknig: Do you also have RS Sliders?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when removing a fitting a new compressor. It's not the new one. I did some checking and there was contact with the slider and compressor because the wrong bolts were used. If you can reach up there and hold the compressor and make it stop, then probably it should be possible to mess around with it and get it to stop. That would be my guess as to what is going on, that was my problem. My sliders also had to remove the lower compressor cover... no big deal, it gets good protection from the sliders.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick feedback. I'll check into the new bracket.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scott, how are you? Haven't talked to you in ages. Don't you miss downtown Glendale a little? :biggrin:

Like you did a long time ago, I finally sold my trusty 2006 Sport this year - with 210,000 miles on it! - and got a LR4, I love it. I did fit a set of T4x4 sliders and the guys at Tactical had to modify their LR3 sliders quite a bit to accommodate the new AMK compressor that Land Rover started using on MY2012s and later. I posted a thread on the LR4 forum if you are interested in the whole process (including photos of the new bracket referenced above, page 1 shows the template and page 4 the final version): http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24014

While the bracket does indeed raise the new compressor enough to clear their modified sliders, I don't believe it will do the same on a set of RS sliders (although it should help somewhat), because the "box" under the compressor on the Tactical slider also had to be modified / enlarged quite a bit compared to their LR3 version to receive the bottom 3 "shocks" sticking out of the new bracket without any contact with the slider itself.

You should definitely try out the Tactical bracket though, at the very least you will relieve some of the stress on the new compressor bracket and that, in turn, should decrease the noise and vibrations you are experiencing now. However, I don't believe you will get rid of them entirely without cutting up the slider a bit and fabricating a larger box to weld back on. The one on the RS sliders just looks too small for the redesigned air pump and bracket combo (judging by your photo, anyway.)

Good luck and keep us posted, as surely there will be more RS sliders owners running into the same issues as older compressors give up and need to be replaced with this new type.

BTW, Rover Specialties seems to have vanished, their products are nowhere to be found and their web site is gone. Too bad. They were the only company manufacturing a great set of sliders for the Sport, one of the reasons why I went with the LR4: lots more aftermarket toys for LR3/4 if you like to go off road.

PS: The bottom half of the new sound cover needs to go as well, regardless of which slider you have. The guys at Tactical were almost able to fit the cover back on, but decided against it because it was too tight a fit, plus they were concerned about restricting air flow to the pump too much, between sound cover and sliders.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Umberto....I think the back part of the RS Slider would have to be chopped a bit too. I guess we will find out. I don't think we really know yet how the T4x4 bracket + the RS Sliders will work together because no one has installed both yet.

I was fully expecting to at least be forced to trim part of the back of that slider, and hopeful not to have to cut the box....but frankly I'm shocked that Scott was able to get his sliders back on AT ALL and now I think there is a puncher's chance that with the thinner re-lo bracket it may all button up in there nicely with no trimming.

???

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto! Great to hear from you. Glad you're still sticking with the Rovers as well. Here's a blast from the past for you:
IMG_2185.jpg

Great tip on the relocation bracket. I'm going to try that route I think. More to follow. Thanks for the great tips.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh... My baby! She's in Costa Rica now, enjoying her semi-retirement. I wish I was as lucky. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4