Help with head gasket please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amethyst777

Reaction score
I bought a 96 Disco about a month ago. It was running a little hot at times. The coolant cap was cracked so I thought it was just loosing coolant from there. I ordered a new cap and it ran great for about 1000 miles.

I noticed the temp running a little higher than it had been so I checked the coolant and it was slightly low so I added a little and it was great for about a week. I made a 60 mile trip and on the way home all HELL broke loose.

The temp was fine (I had been keeping a close eye due to the problems). I started to notice a smokey smell, so I looked at the temp and it was fine. An old smokey truck had just passed me so I assumed that was what I was smelling. Then all the sudden my son in the back seat said, "where's all this smoke coming from?!!?" I looked back it the whole thing was starting to smoke up. I glanced at the temp as I took an exit, it was still fine. I pulled of the road immediately and before I could turn off the engine, it died. Literally DIED! sigh...

OK.. so... I popped the hood and the first thing that caught my eye was that the PCV hose was busted. (well, first thing besides all the smoke!!!) Then I noticed coolant all over everything. Then I saw that a hose to the heater core was busted.. well exploded would better describe it. So I'm thinking OK... I stopped immediately, the disco never showed HOT, and I have a 2 busted hoses. Easy fix... NOT!

I got a ride to autozone, replaced both hoses. (not with exact hose, but with same size hose cut to fit. At least this should get me going, right? NOT!) So I get in and turn on the ignition and it starts right up!!! But... it doesn't sound quite right.

I get out and check my handy work to make sure there are no leaks and see about this new engine sound. First thing I notice is that the top radiator hose is leaking at the clamp. I tighten that and it stops. Check the PCV hose and it appears to be open and doing fine. Look at the heater core hose and it isn't leaking. Why is it running so rough and sound like crap???

I look down under the heater hose at the exhaust, coolant is bubbling out where it's bolted to (exhaust?? manifold???)

So, blown head gasket??? Why? how??

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm very desperate. I recently lost my job and things are pretty desperate. I need a running vehicle to find work before getting evicted. I'm a single mom. I know, sob story, right? I'm not asking for any kind of hand out, just advice. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (even though I'm a woman LOL!). If it is the head gasket, can I do this myself? Can anybody send me step by step instructions, maybe even with pics? If anybody out there lives close to texarkana, could you help me do it. I don't have much cash, but I could clean your house? A years worth of free oil changes? ETC...

I'm sure I could be helpful and repay you in some way. Please guys don't get nasty. I'm not offering anything but to try and pay my own way, to repay the help. No ****** connotations meant by that!!!
Thanks for all your help...
Carol

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First sorry for the issue in posting, the forum software complains about new posters and just about anything.

Second. You overheated regardless of what the temp gauge showed. Yes head gasket is probably bad, sadly if it got hot enough to shut down, you may very well have slipped a liner in one or more of the cylinders. Head gasket isn't the hardest thing to fix, but slipped liners are no fun at all and really require a specialized engine shop.

Hopefully Disco Mike will pipe in as he appears to have a lot more knowledge on how to explain these type of things

amethyst777

Reaction score
Any help is appreciated...

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully Mike will chime in, and any other help is appreciated :)

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't jump the gun here.

you've fixed several leaks, and coolant doesn't evaporate easilly.

if the coolant on your exhaust is from a leak above, it can boil and smoke sitting on the exh.

Do you have coolant in the oil? (chocolate milkshake color) - NO = good.

Does your top rad hose get Extremely hot and hard? - (leaking combustion into coolant thru' head gasket) - NO=good (should be pretty hot and firm)

A decent test is if your coolant filler cap has pressure still 15-30 mins. after shutting off a warmed up engine. (any leaks will cause pressure to drop.)

These are free - easy indicators of problems.

I'm slightly optimistic as you say the temp gauge never went hot, usually they will if overheated.

The coolant leaks hitting a hot engine will smoke,stink, get in the electrical, scare the crap out of you.

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM