Here Came The Snow, There Went The Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, ok this is very strange. I checked all the sockets and i didn't find any rust or corrosion on the connectors that would make contact with the bottom of the bulb. I switched fuses again and still nothing. In fact I blew about 6 of them trying to test each individual light! where to go from here.?

Hi Kenn;

I had the exact same thing happen on my 97 Disco only on the left side (passenger's side) - it turned out to be 'ropey' wiring going into the red running light in my rear bumper - i.e., the wire itself was so badly corroded that it was shorting and/or I was getting a ground fault. I checked all my sockets replaced bulbs etc., - all to no avail - until I went back further in the power delivery line and found the wiring issue (it was about 6 to 10 inches back from the bumper i.e., in the area where wiring is exposed outside of harnesses before entering into the bumper proper).

over to you;

Wolf

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advise Wolf...

First_Disco

Reaction score
hey thanks guys, well im on my way over to check that out now! Sao lets say in a perfect world this is the case. what size wire is needed for replacement? any special kind or whatever? i'll let you know what I find and thanks again for the tip guys!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of going bigger... so 12 gauge will do the job... if you can solder it and heat shrink even better...

First_Disco

Reaction score
ok, so here is what I found! WOLF you were right. the back side marker and both the tail marker/blinker had about a 2 inch gap in the protective housing. I did cover them and as too be sure I was fooled before i check all the connections again. this time I didn't find some corrosion on the rear side marker. Now my question is, should i jest leave out the buld and would that stop the flow of electricity to that connection? how would you go about cleaning it? should I replace wires? etc, etc. I'm still blowing fuses left and right so I would like to take care of this problem

First_Disco

Reaction score
joey,
sorry i missed your post. I will strip all the proctive housing around it then and replace the wires up to the connection. heat shrink huh? now your just getting tricky but I will take your advice and go that route! you have not steered me wrong yet!

kenn

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I just prefer heat shrink... tends to work better and last longer.

First_Disco

Reaction score
So how would I go about cleaning the corrosion out of the read side marker? fine sand paper the best I can?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how would I go about cleaning the corrosion out of the read side marker? fine sand paper the best I can?

Hi Kenn;

Ditto on Joey's reccomendations (i.e. 12 ga. & solder and heat shrink is the way to go); as for corroded light bulb sockets - steel wool and light oil has worked for me (make sure you blow them out good with some compressed air though); however, if that corrosion is really in there, at the end of the day - I have always found it best to call my salesman at Atlantic British and get a new socket/lense sent my way (I think they are shipping for free in the US right now and they have theire Cristmas sale on as well).

Wolf

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hey thanks alot Wolf & Joey-
I was on the website earlier checking out parts. I figured a perm. fix is far better then a temp. job. Anyways, like I said I appreciate you both "SPEARHEADING" this issue for me. I'll be sure to post as soon as I get it fixed and let you know what I came up with!

Kenn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA