High Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robairx

Reaction score
My 98 Disco 1 idles at 1700 rpm in P/N drops to 1000 in R/D. I have searched the forums and tried Cleaned the idle air control valve. That did not help removed the battery cable overnight Still high idle Got a new idel air control valve from advance auto parts ($37)
and still idle too high have pulled idle air control vale and watched it doesnt seem to be moving Does anyone know how I can Check to see if it is getting a signal I have a scanner it reports no codes Howeer about once a month I will get a misfire code. I have cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner no change Thanks for all your Help

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you decarbon the IAC and where it mounts to the manifold, how about the t/body, have you cleaned it?

robairx

Reaction score
I did clean the throttle body and searched for vacuum leaks Not sure what you mean by decarbon But I have replaced tha Idle air control valve Idle has changed but has only gone higher

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the iac extends within 20sec after key off

on key on it retracts gives you the vrroomm on start.

A new one needs to get friendly with the ECU to work properly.

Try searching the forums for - iac reset- or something like that.
It involves turning on/off key and unplugging iac and holding 2k rpm for 30sec. I think it may work.

I bypassed mine b/4 finding this out & probably will try that when I get to it.

luck,greg

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the iac extends within 20sec after key off

on key on it retracts gives you the vrroomm on start.

A new one needs to get friendly with the ECU to work properly.

Try searching the forums for - iac reset- or something like that.
It involves turning on/off key and unplugging iac and holding 2k rpm for 30sec. I think it may work.

I bypassed mine b/4 finding this out & probably will try that when I get to it.

luck,greg

I know the 95 and older 3.9 IAC is the same off a GM V6 hell it's a old GM motor. This thru Pick N pulls collection for free or $47 at a parts store. Rover price bend over with lube.
Post 95 I do not know if the IAC fits other vehicles, if so look there at Pick N Pulls or their stealers. Even Rolls Royce must be cheaper than Rover stealers prices. Chech with www.autohausaz.com. They have parts for every make and cheaper with OEM parts.
I would spray with Berryman B12 carb cleaner then apply some liquid lock lube that has graphite which stays behind as a dry lube. This I have used for years with so called junk IAC units that work after cleaning. Also clean out the port inside the plenum as they get nasty on a rat motor with a lot blowby.
No "vrroomm" here, I added an adjustable restrictor inside the idle bypass hose (not seen by smog test inspections to limit my idle by 50 rpms above a hot idle to allow for AC loading plus a slow 550 cold start idle rpm only.
This with a pre-oiler for 26 psi before starting every morning. The factory cold start idle rpm's are way too high to quickly warm up the cats which is 90% or higher of your daily cold engine wear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72