Highest mileage LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right at 115k and three years of faultless ownership. I too love the truck, and my sweat equity I've put in. But there is a looming question about what comes next. That Land Cruiser is looking pretty exceptional if you have the means. Otherwise maintaining air suspension and timing components will likely be it for me over the next few years.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the positive news idea.
We got our 2nd LR4 in fall of 2020. A 2013 with 68k miles.
The only reason it has ever been to the dealer is to program a new key since my wife lost one fob (what a fiasco, the dealer not my wife).
Frequent home walmart mobil 1 Oil changes, a battery, lots of seafoam, and about $500 in parts to do the tranny pan and fluid swap and Sonnax zipkit is about all we've done to it.
Now sits at 108k and drives like new with two stupid exceptions: the clock spring whines sometimes and I get this weird idle fluctuation when it's hot and the AC is on (which I'm hoping the other thread will come up with ideas for.)
Been rock solid and our go to road trip vehicle (going skiing this weekend in her). Only downside is around town MPG like an 80's lamborghini.
Is Seafoam a preventative thing, or where there symptoms you were specifically targeting? I always hear about it, but never used it. At most I've dumped a bottle of Red Line injector cleaner.

plainolejeff

Reaction score
Having only owned Toyotas and Land Rovers since being able to purchase vehicles, I do not know what I would purchase next after the LR4. My 97 Defender 90 is the toy at the moment and I have no intention of purchasing the new generation of Defenders. I guess I will test drive the new Land Cruiser when it comes out but I am hoping to find another LR4 in good condition when the time comes.

Jeff

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:). I feel you @BigBriDogGuy .
I’m a cheapskate. (That is I’m all about “value”, no matter what the cost)
@ktm525 , I have no interest in a boring Japanese, Korean or American vehicle… as many of them well, are boring.
As with all my vehicles, I’m driving them until the wheels fall off. Of course the trouble is, I keep them so well maintained, the odds are against me that this will ever happen, lol.

I get your approach. You get good value (cost of entry) out of unwanted cars and Jag/LR is near the top of the list since they typically inhabit the bottom of the quality / reliability rankings. The game is to maintain them and hope something catastrophic doesn't let loose, if you own it for awhile you win. That is exactly how I ended up with my 2010. Previous owner walked out of a dealer with it for $86k Cdn. Sold it to me three years later for $40 because it didn't have the reputation of a Lexus LX570. It's worked out for me because I got it cheap and even though it takes a little more TLC and cost than a Lexus LX / Toyota Land Cruiser. If you want to roll the dice a late model Range Rover is a very interesting proposition.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is Seafoam a preventative thing, or where there symptoms you were specifically targeting? I always hear about it, but never used it. At most I've dumped a bottle of Red Line injector cleaner.
These injectors are known to get dirty and noisy. I'm finding this 2013 running quieter using seafoam every other tank (we only put 5-8k miles a year on her so it seems more often than it is) than our last one not doing that.
Also, seafoam in the oil for a few hundred miles before an oil change breaks down the sludge. There is strong evidence that it is not just the design but the oil type and super long oil change interval that leads to the timing chain tensioners failing and the seafoam breaks that up.

Our last 2013 we ran from 40k-102k following LR protocol and we had a very noisy engine with a slight loosening of the chain when we sold it. This one from 68k-109k runs much, much better following the above. Just back from 500mi ski trip. She ran flawlessly and the weather was pretty nasty/snowy.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right at 115k and three years of faultless ownership. I too love the truck, and my sweat equity I've put in. But there is a looming question about what comes next. That Land Cruiser is looking pretty exceptional if you have the means. Otherwise maintaining air suspension and timing components will likely be it for me over the next few years.

I feel sort of the same, only I've had my LR4 for over 8 years now.

Depending on what happens over the next year or so, I could see selling within 6 months or keeping it for another couple of years. Gun to my head right now, I'd probably either pick a new Defender or a used G-Wagon for my next vehicle. The Land Cruiser is a wild card. Would love to test drive one, but have a feeling there will be steep dealer premiums for the first year or two. That's a game I do not play.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get your approach. You get good value (cost of entry) out of unwanted cars and Jag/LR is near the top of the list since they typically inhabit the bottom of the quality / reliability rankings. The game is to maintain them and hope something catastrophic doesn't let loose, if you own it for awhile you win. That is exactly how I ended up with my 2010. Previous owner walked out of a dealer with it for $86k Cdn. Sold it to me three years later for $40 because it didn't have the reputation of a Lexus LX570. It's worked out for me because I got it cheap and even though it takes a little more TLC and cost than a Lexus LX / Toyota Land Cruiser. If you want to roll the dice a late model Range Rover is a very interesting proposition.
This thread is branching out into some pretty interesting topics. The value proposition is especially intriguing to me. For instance, let's say the LR4 NA is more reliable than the reputation for the brand would suggest. If so, you might have a solid model that is under-valued based upon the negative perceptions of the brand. Just today, I saw 3 of them on CL / FB that looked well cared for and were going for around $10k each at around 100,000 miles. You can't find other quad-cab trucks or 4x4 SUVs in those model years (2010-13) with those miles for that price. What I have seen is they are 50%-100% higher (or more). Now, for many people the poor gas mileage, premium gas, and expensive oil changes would be a deal breaker. But you can buy a lot of premium gas and synthetic oil changes for $10k.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my LR4 an equivalent Lexus LX was about $20k more. I figured that would pay for a lot of repairs. Now a 2010 LX in the same shape as my LR4 still commands a premium but not as much.