How many years did you get out of your OEM battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing the 4 year old battery in our 2008 LR3 before winter. No sign of strange dash lights yet, but I don't want to get stranded while away skiing in Maine or Vermont. And trying to jump a dead battery in winter is no fun either.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a factory battery, you are probably getting to that point where it will start dragging on you in the cold winter starts.
I just, last week, had to replace my near year old Yellow Tops for the same reason.
If you decide to replace the battery, consider Sears Marine Platinum, Interstates better battery or Optimum for some of the better, longer batteries and always look at batteries
at or above 800 CCA to handle all the computers in your Rover.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be wise to replace it. x2 on the Sears Marine.

I got mine replaced under warranty when the LR3 was 3 years old I think.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interstate will test it for you.

Thinking of a new battery now is a good idea.

If you go to an Interstate store, and you already have an Interstate in there, they will test it for you. If seems that there is some chip already in the existing Interstate battery that talks to their tester unit. The tester prints out the date of manufacture, install, and state of the battery. The Interstate that you need will be the group size H8 Interstate MTP-H8 Mega-Tron Plus.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 years. Then HDC and other gremlin faults showed up. New battery and they disappeared.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a battery industry veteran of 20+ years. Battery life is largely dependent on where you live. Hot climates= less life, cool climates= longer life.

I replaced my Interstate a year ago with an Odyssey (same mfr as the Sears Platinum). If it's in the budget, replace the battery. I'd suggest replacing with the "best" that falls within your budget.

I have many years as an application engineer for Optima and the battery choice is personal but if it's in the budget, the AGM batteries will definitely last longer than the traditional designs.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been averaging 2 years or so on batteries. 4th battery in my '05

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 and half on mine and still reading 12.51 in the morning, but my guess is ,it will be a last winter for my Interstate, i think..i have been looking on their website and will probably go with stronger one , maybe 900 or even 1000 CCa

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CMG Rover, how did you get your battery replaced under warranty? I thought that was considered like brakes, a user end item to replace. I'm not sure if my battery has been replaced, don't think so, but will keep an eye on it this Winter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112