How to add Bluetooth, etc., to 2006 LR3 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

portlandlife

Reaction score
I recently purchased my '06 LR3 SE a few weeks ago after selling my '10 Range Rover. I tried using a bluetooth dongle thing that we used on a previous car. It's like someone else mentioned; mine was $20 and just connects to the Aux on rear of the center console and powered with USB plug in the cig lighter next to it. It worked fine but it is too annoying having to turn it on every time I get in, and, if i turn off the car, the bluetooth stays connected because it has a battery and hence my calls don't auto-transfer to my phone. I also want a backup camera as well as a front camera which I think could be helpful in some offroad situations especially if I am driving alone.

I don't have Nav so I decided to use that space as I've seen others do. I purchased a 7" Wireless CarPlay because it was almost the exact dims of the space and because I wanted a unit that had rear and front camera inputs which isn't as common as I thought. I'm using the stereo basically as passive bluetooth adapter and camera monitor with the convenience of CarPlay. So I only connected RCA pre-amps out to the Aux port to the stock stereo/amplifier. I spliced into the power, ground, and ignition wires on the stock stereo. So far it works great but it's only been two days. I still have to install the cameras. As you can see from the photo, it doesn't fit perfect. I'd like to keep the screen vertical cause I've heard glare can be a problem when on a slant. So I'm considering trimming the dash for a better fit, or buying and modifying a screen "visor" to cover up the metal and prevent glare. If I did decide to install at a slant, I'd have to cut out a large section under the stereo for the amplifier/wiring harness to "sit" in. So far I've only had to drill two holes below the stereo to run the wires down to the stereo.

1649200462650.jpeg

1649200516089.jpeg

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed a post on Reddit 2 years ago, and it works flawlessly.

I just did this - for a grand total of $17 I now have "factory" BT streaming audio!

$11 for BT, and $6 for a new AUX plug. This item fits the 3/8" hole perfectly:

Could not be happier! Completely hidden, auto-on/off, easy connection, OEM sound quality!

Tip: Completely remove the factory aux switch and associated circuitry, along with the black box holding them.
This circuitry is the cause of the sound issues with OEM. It also makes room for the new BT board and wiring.

cmotomn

Reaction score
I just did this - for a grand total of $17 I now have "factory" BT streaming audio!

$11 for BT, and $6 for a new AUX plug. This item fits the 3/8" hole perfectly:

Could not be happier! Completely hidden, auto-on/off, easy connection, OEM sound quality!

Tip: Completely remove the factory aux switch and associated circuitry, along with the black box holding them.
This circuitry is the cause of the sound issues with OEM. It also makes room for the new BT board and wiring.
Hello, could you also share which $11 BT adapter you purchased and any details / instructions for removing "factory aux switch and associated circuitry"? Thanks!

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See post 9 in this tread - it's all there.

- pull out entire aux panel with flip lid - unplug wires
- gut contents, stick the new BT panel into old circuit's space - push wires out so you can solder/crimp
- mate wires from vehicle to appropriate BT panel "audio out" wires *
- push new aux jack into hole, mate appropriate BT panel "audio I" wires
- solder or piggyback BT panel to cig lighter + and -
- pop the aux panel back in and enjoy

* both black audio wires from car need to be joined to the single ground from BT panel "audio out"
(I think LR had them separated to act like a switch something was plugged in the aux port)
and, I think audio was LR blue -> BT red and LR red -> BT white tho - but I forget. Look it up?

I am having some different behavior when using the back seat headphones, and roof DVD thru AUX - I may put a switch inline with one of the ground wires - so I can join or disconnect those grounds when needed, to see if that solves my issue.

But for streaming the phone thru headunit AUX - all is fantastic, consistent volume levels, and 100% invisible/hardwired

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA