How to check the battery voltage with the settings menu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the factory navigation, you can check voltage. Press the right hard button on the navigation. You should now see screen buttons for Navigation, Settings, and 4x4 Info. Press and hold the top middle portion of the screen for about 5 seconds. Press and hold the left hard button until a keypad shows up on the screen. Enter the number 753, and press OK. You'll now have some diagnostic choices. Press "Vehicle Signals" and the first entry should be battery voltage displayed in 0.5 volt increments.

farupp

Reaction score
Thanks, H P. That worked great. I have 14 volts with the engine running and 12 v when the engine is turned off. I am going to check it later after the car has not run for an hour or more. That will give me a better indication of the condition of the battery.

Any more codes that will indicate what the car is doing?

Farupp

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! An Easter Egg. In ten years I never learned this one...how did that happen?

farupp

Reaction score
Is there any way to read oil pressure, intake air temperature, etc.?

Thanks

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no way to monitor oil pressure or intake air temperature. I think there are OBD2 bluetooth devices that allow you to use your phone to see such data.

The other useful thing about the 753 hack is allowing you to use a rearview camera if it is hooked up. I bought a cheap camera on ebay along with a Fakra connector to hook up to the back of the nav unit. The 753 hack allows you to use access the camera.

The only other Easter egg I know of is the 1791 hack that allows you to use navigation on the move. I don't remember offhand how to access it. I believe it doesn't work on newer model LR3's. It used to work on my '05, but then I updated the navigation disc and lost the ability to access the hack.

Come to think of it, there is one other hack that I saw on the disco3 site. It puts the nav unit into a Range Rover mode and allows you to access the rearview camera automatically when the vehicle reverses. There are a number of problems with this. First, it requires modifying the wiring on the connectors to the nav unit (if you attempt this, DO NOT cut the wire on your connector as most people have done. I have found that the wire can be carefully coaxed out. If you decide to undo the mod, you can put the wire back in). Second, the nav unit loses the ability to auto dim. It stays way too dim during the day, so that it is hard to see the display. There is a way to overcome this by soldering in a diode on the circuit board. Third, the hard buttons are swapped in functionality and you have all sorts of screen buttons that are not applicable to the LR3, for example radio controls. Lastly, I believe the nav firmware needs to be up to date, which requires something like a Faultmate.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not going to get an accurate determination of the battery voltage when you have a load on it, aka the Nav screen, etc. If you have 12.0 v when the vehicle is not running, then you would likely be getting some random errors when starting, or other times, so it might to time to do a battery. But try it again with a multi meter for kicks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that <12 is where systems start acting up and throwing weird faults. You still may need a battery, but I don't think what you are experiencing is necessarily related to the batt.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi