I know this has been asked before, but which oil to use in the LR4 2016 model?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive done oil tests on 5k vs 15k and theres virtually no difference using mobil1 synthetic or amsoil. im assuming you wld see similar results with any full synthetic oil.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there absolutely no reason to change synthetic every 5 to 7k miles of normal driving. the weak link in the system is the oil filter and it's not 1970 anymore...today's filters can go 15k miles easy. ... ive done oil tests on 5k vs 15k and theres virtually no difference using mobil1 synthetic or amsoil. im assuming you wld see similar results with any full synthetic oil.
All "synthetics" are not created equal. Some are more suitable for extended drains (i.e., 15kmi) than others; particularly Group IV/V base stocks, which are usually in the $10-12 per quart price range in USA. High-end Amsoil products fall into this category along with a very few Mobil-1 offerings. Low-end Amsoil, and most Mobil-1, do not fit this category... these are Group III base stocks, which are highly refined / hydrocracked dyno oils

Also, the LR4 manuals indicate the recommended 15kmi change interval is for normal service. The interval should be cut in half (7.5kmi) for severe service... towing, frequent city driving, etc. Click here for a screen shot from the FSM showing change interval information for USA vs ROW.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been purchasing the Castrol Edge Extended Performance Fully Synthetic (meets Ford/LR standards) on Amazon for a few years (doing oil changes every 7-8k miles - 1/2 suggested intervals). It is 5W-20, but I think that's the actual suggested grade if I'm not mistaken. 5 quart bottles currently under $30, and they also sell the Mahle filter - can get the entire package for an oil change for around $75-80 usually.

http://a.co/gDZwlQ6 - Oil

http://a.co/38SObnn - Filter

Last edited:

KevinLR4

Reaction score
I use Castrol Full Synthetic 5w20. And now that I've pushed passed the 120k, I use the high mileage Castrol Full Synthetic 5w20. All of these Land Rover enthusiasts are right though, just make sure it's a Synthetic and you will be fine. And of course, you can always come back here and ask anything. We're here to help.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been purchasing the Castrol Edge Extended Performance Fully Synthetic (meets Ford/LR standards) on Amazon for a few years (doing oil changes every 7-8k miles - 1/2 suggested intervals). It is 5W-20, but I think that's the actual suggested grade if I'm not mistaken. 5 quart bottles currently under $30, and they also sell the Mahle filter - can get the entire package for an oil change for around $75-80 usually.

I have seen this flavor of Castrol at Walmart as well. I did a double take the first time I saw it until I found that it is not the factory recommended Castrol Edge PROFESSIONAL. Not wanting to do a deep dive into oil specs and in the interest of keeping my life simple (if a bit more expensive), I decided to pass and get my Castrol from the dealer. I'm sure I would be fine using this oil or Mobil 1 but that was my thought process.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to want to stick with the Castrol OE while in the warranty period. But by all counts, the hard to obtain oil spec is related to suitability over long mileage oil service interval. I think any good quality oil of the proper weight changed frequently ( no more than 8k miles or so) will be perfectly fine. If you use the proper weight Castrol or Mobil1 synthetics with an EP formulation then that is even safer.

Now the question I have is, can I mix the left-over quart of Castrol OE with Mobil1 EP? I'd hate to waste a quart of fancy oil.

Richie04

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their response to my post/question. Much information to learn about Land Rover ownership. Again thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM