I need to replace my fuel pump!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chantel

Reaction score
I took another look at the engine and found what i believe is the fuel pressure check valve. It was a stem like a bicycle tire on the fuel rail with a blue cap on it. I turned the engine to ON, then depressed the valve stem and it shot out fuel. Tried this twice and did it both times. Then, I tried to start it and after several seconds it did fire up, then immediately shut off again after running for about one second. So, I assume the system is priming, which would make me think that maybe the fuel pump isn't dead? Below is a photo of the blue capped valve I depressed.

View attachment 10432

So, is my fuel pump dead? Could it be a clog in the fuel filter? In the line? Could the water infiltration issues that killed my key fob relay be doing something? Oh, one last thing, when I began investigating the issue, I found a dead mouse under the engine cover. He had made a nest using the foam from the bottom of the engine cover. He had also slightly chewed some wires, but they are still in tact. I do need to tape them up, but I wasn't sure what effect it would have on the fuel system.

I am not sure if similar to the LR3 but I have a 2011 LR4 that had about 75000 miles at the time the Land Rover put 2 yes 2 fuel pumps on my truck and still did not help with a simile problem you described above- finally a shop (not Land Rover repair) found a sensor that was bad..and it totally fixed the problem. I currently have 205000 miles on it and still running great!

Brotato

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I couldn’t help but think the first thing to try and sort out would be the key fob. If the key fob isn’t being read properly it could create a security issue that would allow the truck to start, but it would Shut down automatically after one second. Might be worth checking.
I hope you get it figured out soon. I’m following this one.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should have updated, my problem turned out to be the fuel pump relay, I changed it out and have had zero issues since then, that was like 4 months ago. I never had to bleed anything when I replaced my pump, just turned it over until it started.

rigorivero

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with my 2007 LR3. It cranks for a long time before it starts, but one it starts it runs smooth all day long. I noticed it starts happening when my fuel level is low. When my tank is full or over 1/2 it starts right up. I’ll replace the fuel pump relay and see if that solves it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut