Idle/Backfire Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deeb

Reaction score
update...tookl off iac, tps, and maf. cleaned them all thoroughly. cleaned the hole in tb where either the iac or tps feeds in. not sure which is which?

which is the one with the little plunger that goes into the hole in tb? is that plunger supposed to move? it wiggles a little.

deeb

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!

removed and cleaned all the injectors/switched them around. when i put them back in, the same 2 cylinders werent firing. compression tested all cylinders and they were all around 180psi.

-fuel is good
-compression is good
-that just leaves spark.

i pulled the plug wires and noticed that 2 of them had pretty remarkable gouges in them. duh! god im an idiot. the wires looked decent and i sprayed them down a couple weeks ago, so faulty wires never really occured to me.

i put a little liquid electrical tape/electrical tape over the gouges for a temporary fix.
voila! all cylinders firing! no more misfire. and helped a little with the sluggish-ness.

now, however the truck idles higher than ever. 2500'ish!

i suppose, if the truck has adjusted itself to run on 6 cylinders it certainly makes sense to be idling through the roof when its running on all 8.

base idle reset? can it be done without hooking up to a T-4 or equivalent?

also, any recommendations on wires? mike, i know you swear by the magnecor 8mm.
where can i find a set of those?

thanks all
chad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Reset I would start with a battery disconnect for 10 minutes or more.. if that doesn't do it you will need the T-4 or equivalent to reset base lines.

I also run Magnecor wires... I have had the same set for 7 years. I bought them online, but don't recall where now...

deeb

Reaction score
Reset I would start with a battery disconnect for 10 minutes or more.. if that doesn't do it you will need the T-4 or equivalent to reset base lines.

I also run Magnecor wires... I have had the same set for 7 years. I bought them online, but don't recall where now...

so just disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then put it back in and start it up?

also, just got a set of magnecor 8mm from a referral from mike in colorado.
110 bucks! damn.

-hoping they'll kick my lazy disco in the ass.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
10 minutes (it may or may not work)

Here is where I bought mine.. found the link. http://www.apexperformance.net/cartgenie/prodList.asp?****=306

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4