I'm Out shopping, HD Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MountainLR3

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. Most of the LR3's on my list have the HD package. I have called almost every dealer south of Maryland in search of The right one. Most of these tools want 25k for an 05. Had one call me back yesterday and went from 24900 to 21k in 1 phone call. He is the one that said I did not need the HD. How does he know what I need?:stupid:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, another chime in here...I have an '05 with the HD package.

My dealership (Rockville, MD) used to have some salesmen very experienced in offroad driving, but, since they were sold to Manhtn Jaquar I don't get the impression that anyone there actually takes the trucks on trail. Heck, I don't even take my LR3 on the trails you guys do and I get the impression that I'm one of the few owners at that dealership bringing the thing in with mud or sand on the skid plates.

What's my point? Don't trust your dealer. Times are tough, he'll tell you anything to make the sale. He's already proved that. Bring in your own data and use him only for negotiation and finding the truck you know you want.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mountain LR3, LR auctions its off-lease vehicles monthly near me (metro Detroit) among other places, and I can buy them direct from the local sale or on line for other Manheims. You would have to run the VINs to see if they have HD, but you'll get more factory warranty remaining and lower mileage than 05 models and at wholesale cost rather than starting at retail. Depends upon where you live, too. Possibly a sale takes place nearer to you and you can actually inspect and pick up a car yourself.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think your dealer is lying per se, but certainly miss-informed, and perhaps only nominally experienced in ********* off roading. The problem is that very few LR3's have the HD package. Was it available in 2005? Yes, probably more comon in 2005 models than any other year. However, I would recommend a 2007 model over a 2005 with HD if that became a deciding factor. I wrote an article on what I would want in a replacement LR3: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=78

Now, I have off roaded my LR3 more than most, and have spent literally months behind the wheel of many other LR3's, with considerable offroad time in them.

An LR3 without HD (rear locker) CAN go anywhere an HD model can go, but it requires more skill, more finesse, more effort and a certain amount of will. Having said that, there are very few actual situations where the Locker makes itself noticeable. In my experience, this is usually on steep accents or over very large boulders.

Having the HD package is a minor help in resell, if you are working with other off road minded folks, but I would not consider it a deal breaker unless the LR3 is going to be doing a lot of 4+ trail time.

I have a few thousand photos of what an unlocked LR3 can do on the trail here:
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Land Rover/198186

423435683_UfoLy-M.jpg

MountainLR3

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice nwoods. I think an 07 is out of the question. I need to stay around 19k so I can get some bfg's/coopers.

I just read over your site and looked at your pics. Awesome. My wife and I plan on doing the same type of driving you do.

As for the HD/Locker.....We have a few private wooded/rocky mountainous trails near us and they require a rear locker and skid plates to even enter. This might be because of how horrible open diffs on our Jeeps have been.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor after a few months with my LR3.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan....he was lied to about the 2005 models not coming with the HD package. The other info from the salesperson was just an opinion.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another note I made before-a full size spare does not automatically mean HD package. Check your option codes. I have a full size spare and no locking diff.

scot

Reaction score
if you look at the 4x4 info screen and you see the rear go from unlocked to locked, is that an accurate indicator of having the hd package?

Sounds stupid but LR seems to do some fairly strange stuff :)

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If thats true I have the HD package and I dont think I do. I have a full size spare though. I noticed the locks are not always on the 4x4 screen what prompts them to be seen?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635