Improved MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suggest taking apart the throttle body and giving it a good cleaning. Mine was been running a little rough and I started to notice my mileage slowly begin to drop. So I pulled the throttle body and it was caked with muck. It took a good two hours and a couple of cans of crc carb cleaner but she shines like new now and I honestly don't think the engine has ever run or idled so smooth.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you're geting 17-18/mile? That's awesome!

Maybe my highway driving isn't long enough. Maybe it's my 72 mph average?

Most of my driving this week has been highway driving and no trips to the mountains. That's kills my MPG! We may be heading up this weekend so it will be interesting to see how it does!

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 17.4mpg driving 78mph on a daily basis (not in sport mode) with a mix of city driving.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an OEM filter. K&N is not a good idea on the LR3.

Why is K&N not a good idea on the LR3?
You can get the K&N at amazon for $43 shipped. I just threw one in. I've never had problems with their filters....only time there are problems are if people clean them wrong and put too much oil on them.

But, enlighten me - why not on the LR3?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The over oiling issue it is ******* the sensor. if you look in past threads you will see where guys have had issues on the LR3.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 17.4mpg driving 78mph on a daily basis (not in sport mode) with a mix of city driving.

I hate you people with stock cars. :hmpf:

Even adjusting for the 8% tire size affect on the mpg and speed, I am only getting 14 ever on highway trips. However, I suppose that's to be expected at 7000+ lbs all the time and bfg tires.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when was the last time you had changed your filter? I would be dancing the happy dance if i could avg 17mpg i'm happy now to get 15 avg

and what's everyone's thoughts on that sea foam stuff? the guys ont he tacoma boards swear by them on cleaning out their system.

Trynian

Reaction score
I usually get 18 or better on long freeway runs. About 12-14 in the city. My air filter is changed every 6 months with service.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N is NOT a bad idea. All cars these days with similar engines use basically the same technology for measuring air entering the engine. It is a MAF sensor. They are rock solid. If you slightly follow the directions on the K&N filter and/or the cleaner and/or the oil. . .you will be fine. It is actually hard to over oil it. It is likley not due to over oil as much as people not at all following the directions and putting the just oiled filter back in without waiting for it to dry somewhat. . .like the directions say.

Been running K&N filters in all my vehicles for decades with zero problems ever. Don't let some scare you aways. If you are skilled enough to make your own coffee in the morning, you are skilled enough to use a K&N filter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM