Installing LR3 Xenon's into an LR4 with halogens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just completed a full HID retrofit on my ‘12 LR4 Halogen headlights. Involved disassembling the headlights, removing the Valeo H7 Halogen Projector, & installing HID Projectors & Ballasts. Quite a project, but well worth the outcome.

Did you have to open the headlight assemblies or were you able to complete the job through the access ports?

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I purchased the ballasts, Projectors, and sealant from www.lightwerkz.net, the bulbs from Amazon, and the projector brackets from a company called “Custom Brackets & Design.”

Here are the parts I used:

- Ballasts: Matsushita Gen V (OEM from Nissan)
-Bi-Xenon Projectors: Morimoto D2S 5.0
-Bulbs: Osram D2S CBB 7000k
Brackets: https://custom-brackets-designs.mys...4-chevy-silverado-d2s-4-0-retrofit-c-brackets

The brackets are actually for a 2015-2018 Chevy Silverado. The Silverado & LR4 actually share the same Valeo H7 Halogen Projectors, so it worked our perfectly.

If anyone is interested, I can do a write up on the project. I’m very pleased how it tuned out. The HID output is amazing, and SIGNIFICANTLY better than the factory HIDs.

ABBBAFE1-07F1-41E6-84A9-B3CA0995B92A.jpeg

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a write-up! How long did it take you to do this project?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know that they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the factory HIDs if you had Halogens before?

Saltyfly

Reaction score
How do you know that they are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the factory HIDs if you had Halogens before?

I had an LR3 with HID’s before my LR4. LR3’s have Bosch Projectors which are far better than the Valeo HID Projectors that the LR4’s come with. In the HID world, Valeo is pretty much considered bottom of the barrel, and are commonly used in a lot of vehicles...including Tesla & Chevy. My wife also has an Evoque with HID’s. I’m not 100% certain that they are Valeo’s, but a quick google search seems to indicate they are.

Here’s my wife’s Evoque HID’s and my LR4 HID retro against our garage at 25’. I’ll let you guess which is which...

54ECBFF7-3028-4E00-9C10-1756EDB77661.jpeg

44F0B490-28F0-4ED6-80BB-18E9B6017EFB.jpeg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...that's a good comparison, and thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised the Evoque didn't go with LEDs. What year?

Saltyfly

Reaction score
The Evoque is 2013. They may have put LED’s in the 2015 refresh. Generally, LED’s have good color and are extreme bright, but don’t have great control over the light, or a sharp cut off. I would rather have a good set of HID’s at this point over LED’s.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. I have an Infiniyi Q50 and it has LEDs...2014. that's why I asked the year...figured LR would have gone Led by then. I line HIDs way better and I used to be a Lighting Engineer on airplanes. Each have their advantages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV