installing rear camera and best product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z1234567890

Reaction score
Dear All

I am planning to install rear camera for my LR3 (basic LR3 v8 HSE without GPS and front parking sensor). Anybody can share their experience on this? And best product recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know the HSE could be spec'd with out GPS. I got one of these backup cameras that replace one of the license plate lights. Looks OEM: Amazon.com : By lovelive-5 stars Selling CMOS Color Mirror Image CAR REAR VIEW PARKING REVERSE CAMERA for Land Rover Discovery 3 Range Rover Sport Freelander Freelander 2 : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LIlDJp0JL.@@AMEPARAM@@31LIlDJp0JL

Install is a bit of a hassle getting the signal to the front. I fished the wire though the headliner and down the driver pillar.

Gael

Reaction score
Install is a bit of a hassle getting the signal to the front. I fished the wire though the headliner and down the driver pillar.

How do you display the video in your setup ?

I am interested in doing this mod too and I can see several options :
a) dedicated LCD ($)
b) replace the rear view mirror and get one with a LCD and camera input ($$)
c) have a video input mux box between the in-dash LCD and the GPS unit ($$$)

I am leaning toward option b : new rear view mirror with integrated LCD.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B is ok if you don't have/need home link and auto wipers. I intentionally got an lr3 that didn't have navigation. I use kenwood v1000 and a 8 inch screen. If I was to redo it today, I might mount mini tablet in that cubby. Not sure how to get back up camera on a tablet, but I'm sure it's been done.

Gael

Reaction score
Not sure how to get back up camera on a tablet, but I'm sure it's been done.

I've seen wifi backup camera on amazon or eBay. They create a wifi hotspot.
Your tablet have to connect to this network, then you get the video stream from a dedicated app made by the camera maker.

Pretty much like pairing a GoPro with an iPhone actually.

You could use your phone too, but the problem is that manually pairing to the network is taking a few seconds. Having the camera starting up and opening the wifi network will also take a couple of seconds at least.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not a "problem". my system take a solid 8 sec to boot too. I have it wired to the circuits that power on when the remote lock is triggered. by the time I get to the car, start the truck, it is typically instantly ready to display. 5% of the time when I dont have to unlock the truck, get it, start it and dont take the time to belt in, its not ready. The OEM ultrasonic backup sensors are a better measure of safety anyways.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For other people, I think it might be easier to route through the floor instead. Down from lift hatch behind rear lamp, then through the side plastic, under each door sill trim (where a lot of other wiring runs already so there's a nice slot specifically for wiring, then into the dash area.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635