Intermittent Howl from underside!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

DesertRat

Has anyone experienced an intermittent howl from the transmission? The vehicle seems real quiet but when it warms up alot I sometimes hear a howling sound. The l.r. dealer rode in the vehicle with me and of course it did not do it when he was in it. He said it might be a fan motor but he doubts it is the transmission. Any assistance would be appreciated.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DesertRat said:
Has anyone experienced an intermittent howl from the transmission? The vehicle seems real quiet but when it warms up alot I sometimes hear a howling sound. The l.r. dealer rode in the vehicle with me and of course it did not do it when he was in it. He said it might be a fan motor but he doubts it is the transmission. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Hmmm, same thing happens to my LR3 and when the dealer test drove it, of course they didn't hear it too. Fan motor? don't know about that. Seems like the acceleration is a little less for some reason when I hear that noise, not sure, maybe i'm just paranoid and there's nothing wrong.

D

disco1

How many miles has the truck driven. Have you changed the transmission oil lately?

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7500 on mine, but it started earlier then that. I think started when temp. got hotter, i'm in HOuston so the temp is mid 80's to 90's starting a few months ago

D

DesertRat

yep, I am in tucson.

When it gets hot it will do this. Sort of a hum/howl.

Maybe it is a blower motor.

Who knows; but it is kind of annoying.

105 degrees here today.

Alan

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, whenever I hear it, It sounds like if the transmission is slipping, and I get kinda paranoid, but it's ok.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635