ipod video with two drop-down screens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably a long shot, but I am wondering if anyone is using ipod to play video in their LR3? I am wanting to get a rear entertainment system installed, but I am thinking about using ipod video (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTA4MjUwMzk#overview) in lieu of a DVD player. The cable from Apple has A/V cables and a USB cable for power.

I saw this setup on an online and and I really like the idea (though I think I could find more attractive screens):

https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...Ddirectlink&service=lh2&ltmpl=gp&passive=true

The screens won't have built-in DVD players, and I don't know that much about car audio/video. I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything similar to what I have in mind, and could maybe give me some details about how it was done. My biggest question is how to power the iPod without running a wire to a USB adaptor in the cigarette lighter. I would like to keep everything contained and hidden... maybe in the upper glove compartment. I will definitely have someone run the wires, but I was thinking about ordering the screens and a source selector box, so I can be sure to get what I want.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, I asked this question in more detail on a car audio forum. I thought *just maybe* I get a better LR3-specific response here.

c3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my Ipod and DVD for the RSE and my Kenwood Navi, but I have to use the usb when the pod gets low. I can watch at least 1 1/2 movies with out a charge on a 30gb video ipod.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on a similar solution with the Zune HD. I plan on mounting the dock hidden in the console and fabricating the cable to use the auxilary input in the back of the factory navi screen. Ipod makes similar docks and all the wiring can be hidden down in the console area for a pretty stealth install. Im not happy with the audio aux (even with the booster) so Im looking to find a better deal on the connectivity kit. (This is the best I found so far.)

With the dock you can get audio/video output all while charging. Something like this should work for your ipod. All you need is 5V which can be obtained from a cig lighter adapter. Hopefully this helps.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful - the apple A/V cables are component video out. Most in car video is composite video in. A converter would add complexity and more money to an already overpriced cable. You would probably be better served with one of these cables: http://www.jr.com/scosche/pe/SCE_IPAV/ or the cradle in the post above. Good luck.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful - the apple A/V cables are component video out. Most in car video is composite video in. A converter would add complexity and more money to an already overpriced cable. You would probably be better served with one of these cables: http://www.jr.com/scosche/pe/SCE_IPAV/ or the cradle in the post above. Good luck.

Apple sells both composite and component cables. The link I pasted above says "composite" right on the box and you can see the yellow, red, and white cables.

mturnerua

Reaction score
I use my Ipod and DVD for the RSE and my Kenwood Navi, but I have to use the usb when the pod gets low. I can watch at least 1 1/2 movies with out a charge on a 30gb video ipod.

Does the Kenwood go where the factory nav would be? I'm looking to put a screen where the factory nav would be in my 06 to use with my iphone with hopes of installing a mobile satellite set up eventually.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently copied essentially this same setup. I installed it myself - I have trust issues. Let me know if you have any questions. BTW - I dont need my Audiocontrol overdrive anymore. It worked great to bring the AUX volume level up to equal with FM and CD. $50 Shipped.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

MORE PICS

DVD Player and additional screen. In my setup - If the drop down screen is watching a DVD, the front touch screen can be watching DVD, GPS, Ipod, or reverse cam, etc. BUT if the drop down screen is watching the GSP, Ipod, or reverse camera the front screen must watch the same. This can be a small legal issue, and I havnt figured out how to fix. Hasnt been an problem since my 2YO has a book of DVDs I havnt needed iphone video. YNMV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635